Intro and a couple questions

Started by Icarus, April 11, 2014 · 0 Replies · 1,214 Views

Icarus

What's up everyone? I'm Icarus. Right now my training mainly consist of using body weight training(with rings for much of it), a kettlebell, and an ab wheel, not to mention a morning session of astanga yoga(still a newbie), and hopefully soon the occasional parkour session with friends. I'm on the ketogenic diet which is awesome to say the least(I've lost fat, gained muscle, and have a whole slew of other benefits), though soon enough(after my finances get back to normal) I will be implementing a carb up phase either once a week or every other weekend. 

 

so here are my questions. 

I'm trying to go for strength, and any gains in size(hypertrophy) are a plus, though are not necessary. if it is relevant my current weight is around 162 at 6'. here is my MWF routine

I don't know what they are called but I start out like I am doing dips, and just keep my arms straight and lower my body as far as I can go down without falling. usually 4-6 reps

 

dips on rings 5-8 reps

 

A cross between pull ups and skin the cat 2-5 reps(I may drop down between reps because I try to go as slow as possible.) I was doing straight pull ups for 6-9 reps(usually closer to 6). I've gotten to where I'll just screw around and try different shit right after this. 

 

Close hand pull ups(1 ring) 6-9 reps. 

 

One hand kettlebell curl/military press 6-8 reps

 

A variation of a cross pushup where I lean from side to side and rotate the opposite hand upside down as I do this 3 per arm. 6 overall

 

Jumping push ups(clap hands and feet) 10 reps

 

ab wheel standing 6 reps. 

basically this same thing but I usually drop a rep each time, this is because I am maxing out each set, and this is also the reason I am about to implement a carb up phase. right after I do, I go up about 1-3 reps and I don't start running on empty halfway through. overall though my energy levels are better than when I followed a normal diet. 

What changes do I need to make to make this more effective? Do I just need to stick with this for a while? 

Also should I make every other morning routine(currently ashtanga yoga every morning, if I can fit it in) more focused on something like building balance or static poses? you guys have any advice on maximizing the effectiveness of the ketogenic diet?