How to improve endurance

Started by Pafke, April 9, 2014 · 6 Replies · 2,116 Views

Pafke

Hi guys!

Can anyone give me advice on how to improve my repetitions and statick holds as quickly as possible ?

I started training 6 months ago, and since then I do just the basics and now I'm here:

Pull ups - 19
Push ups - 48
Dips - 26
Leg raises - 22
Pistol squats - 14
Plank - 3 min
L-sit - 35-40 sec

 

Any advice is welcome.

P.S sorry for bad English :(

MattProulx

First are those your max reps per set? or max reps overall.

Pafke
MattProulx said:

First are those your max reps per set? or max reps overall.

Max reps per set.

MattProulx
Paf said:

Max reps per set.

Those are pretty good numbers then, you probably should look into doing advanced exercises.

How I got my pushup numbers up last year when pushups pullups and dips were all I was doing, I set a goal which was 60, and I was doing sets of 40, I would add 1 rep per workout, and in about 1.5 months I was at 60. But I also took 90-120 seconds rest between sets. And then eventually I decreased the rest time. For pullups I would only test my max once a week for 1 set , and any other work days I would only do 10x3-5 I went from 12-22 in 4 weeks. 

Pafke
MattProulx said:

Those are pretty good numbers then, you probably should look into doing advanced exercises.

How I got my pushup numbers up last year when pushups pullups and dips were all I was doing, I set a goal which was 60, and I was doing sets of 40, I would add 1 rep per workout, and in about 1.5 months I was at 60. But I also took 90-120 seconds rest between sets. And then eventually I decreased the rest time. For pullups I would only test my max once a week for 1 set , and any other work days I would only do 10x3-5 I went from 12-22 in 4 weeks.

Did you do pushups every day without rest days ? And how many sets would be enough ?

MattProulx

I did 4 days a week and would do 3-4 sets, I never do 5 sets when it is high reps. But I must warn, I ended up with very sore shoulders, because I never did stretching or mobility for upper body. Possibly from doing too many reps also, some days I did up to 400 in a day(not at once!) I am way stronger now doing the foundation workout with less reps but more focus on control and form. High rep pushups are a thing of the past for me. You should be working into planche variations and other harder pressing exercises. This might also increase your low level endurance.

Pafke
MattProulx said:

I did 4 days a week and would do 3-4 sets, I never do 5 sets when it is high reps. But I must warn, I ended up with very sore shoulders, because I never did stretching or mobility for upper body. Possibly from doing too many reps also, some days I did up to 400 in a day(not at once!) I am way stronger now doing the foundation workout with less reps but more focus on control and form. High rep pushups are a thing of the past for me. You should be working into planche variations and other harder pressing exercises. This might also increase your low level endurance.

Thanks, i will try to do as you do for a month and later i will see depending on progress.

I work on planche but I think I'm still too weak for it (can hold tucked planche only 8 sec, and can barely make two tucked planche pushup :( ).