This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Starting Planche Leans?

Started by Nash, April 5, 2014 · 9 Replies · 537 Views

Nash

I'm guessing Adriano will say ALWAYS WARM UP! :)

 

This one looks like a major challenge and will require the wisdom of the forum to learn.

 

 

-Nash

Gray

I'm warming up with 21 reps of sPL PE1. Which i love so much! 

LateStarter@46

That once you start, you never stop!

dritar

That it's actually one of the exercises that benefits from having a mirror nearby.

thecolin

Check and double check your form. This is one you need to film yourself doing to learn to get all your muscles working properly (ppt + protraction + depression all at the same time).

 

Often people talk about rounding the back for planche leans, but I think this can be a bit misleading and often causes people to round excessively in the mid back trying to round as much as possible. So film yourself and compare against the course video and recheck again and again until what you should be doing matches up with what you're feeling.

 

The other important thing I realized is that in order to lean with protraction, I need to focus on pushing down with my arms. I found that when I just try to lean forward, I tend to loose protraction. But if I use the mental cue of pushing down, since my arms are on a diagonal, I lean forward but maintain protraction.

Mark Collins

That I should use a wall for my head to lightly touch so my lean is full.

Stephen Majerle

Don't try to increase the amount of lean and the hold times at the same time. If you're unable to get to the full lean at the beginning, first spend some time building strength at a reduced lean first. After a couple mini cycles increase the lean and drop the hold times and build again.

Adriano Augusto

You are going to pass through all these cues by yourself, know them before don't change the thing. I mean, you probably know that you've to push the floor in order to get the protraction and depression, that you have to feel as a piece of block all together, that rounding the back is one thing and rounding the upper back is other, etc etc... you know all these things, but you've to practice, practice, practice, in order to FEEL THEM. And once you feel them, you can incorporate those feelings as a whole group in your body, piece by piece, part by part, day after day.

 

I think one of the most important cues is: obsession. Obsession for perfect form. You've to love planche leans. I say planche leans, but actually is any other exercise of F1. I'm starting to love straddle up and ABH as well. In order to progress, you've to put the time on it and the perfect practice, otherwise you go nowhere.

 

The tip about don't increase the lean week by week is an important too, because more lean means more pressure to your wrist and more load to all your body. Never sacrifice form to get more lean.

 

Even thought, you're on the right way.

 

And yes, ALWAYS WARM UP! :D

Nash

Thank you Adriano. Your thread helped me understand it a lot better.

 

It was fun watching how Planche Leans started out as your nemesis in the beginning, but then ended up as your lover. I think I'm going to treat her as a lover from the start :)

Jon Douglas

Be extra prepared to love them, because it's unlikely you'll ever drop them from your warmup :)