questions/concerns about F1 & H1

Started by P&R, April 5, 2014 · 6 Replies · 2,287 Views

P&R

I have been holding off purchasing F1 & H1 due to a few concerns which I hope some of the more experienced GB practitioners can put to rest for me.  

 

Several years ago I purchased coaches book and a set of rings which I am very pleased with.  The price is not an issue, but I do have concerns about an online course.  Not having something tangible in my hands is a bit odd to me, especially if I need to refer back and start over because of an injury or illness.  How does this program work as I am not familiar with it.

 

I have been a exercise and health nut for almost 40 years ( I turn 50 later this year) participating primarily in bodybuilding, powerlifting and martial arts.   I am not a Steroid freak nor do I want to be.  My goals were more on the line of Mr. Jack Lalanne and Vince Gironda.  With that in mind, when I first received Coach's books I jumped in with both feet and abandoned all other types of training.  I started making gains, but lost considerable muscle size while doing so.  I first became involved in BB as I was very thin (130lbs at 5' 9") as a young adult.  At one point I weighed 210lbs while powerlifting but felt I was getting too chuncky.  I now maintain 170lbs.  So here is my question - Any suggestions on how to hold onto and/or build some more size while processing through the courses?

 

I am not looking to become a world class gymnast, but I would like to be able to perform some of the strength, balance and conditioning moves of gymnast like the hollow back press, press handstand, rope climb without legs, etc.  My concern here is that I have had some shoulder issues in the past which I have had to work around.  To begin with I broke my collar bones 4 times before the age of 12.  45 degree or higher barbell incline presses cause them to pop and crackle with some pain. I'm fine with dumbbell presses.  Barbell military presses at times can do the same.  Headstand push ups though don't seem to bother them.  Also while perform L-sits on paralletes and moving into a tuck planche I occasionally get some popping in the shoulders.  Would F1 & H1 help strengthen the shoulder structure teach me correct form and correct what traditional strength training may have irritated or made worse.

 

Thanks for any guidance

 

  

Rayne-William

Going off of what I can find in the forum.

 

Yes, both of the Foundation course and Handstand course will help you develop your shoulder girdle flexibility and strength.

 

Unlike the Handstand course, the foundation course's mobility exercises deal with other common issues in addition to the shoulder girdle.

Riku Calderón

Just buy it and you will find out that there were nothing to worry about in the first place.

Cole Dano

P&R, regarding size if you're eating right, you should have no problem keeping your weight. I was very light and thin when I started, 5'10" 135lbs and now at a comfortable 165lbs. If I were to eat like I did to get here, I would continue to gain, but feel good where I'm at right now.

 

The programming which has mobility work built in will take car of you shoulder concerns, if you follow the programming as laid out. There are many many steps before one actually gets to the ends goals. It's that way for a reason, we build up the strength and mobility gradually and work to shore up any deficiencies from our earlier training.

 

There are also the dedicated support forums, so if you do find issues along the way, folks are here to help.

David Creekmore

A few thoughts as a 45 year old beginner with shoulder issues.

 

- Different people learn different ways.  Some, like you and me, would prefer an accompanying book.  But I can attest that the materials are more than adequate, especially if you are willing to read these forums a bunch.

 

- You won't bulk up.  This isn't designed for maximum hypertrophy.  Many folks slim down while getting stronger.

 

-I have shoulder issues too.  The program is designed to strengthen joints.  Some early shoulder movements I can do easily, but I recognize that part of the point is to build joint capacity. So I'm spending more time on them even though I could push it and test out.

 

Mark Collins
P&R said:

I have been holding off purchasing F1 & H1 due to a few concerns which I hope some of the more experienced GB practitioners can put to rest for me.  

 

 Would F1 & H1 help strengthen the shoulder structure teach me correct form and correct what traditional strength training may have irritated or made worse.

 

Thanks for any guidance

The best I have seen from a physiotherapy and strength training perspective. You will develop full ROM strength that you never get with bodybuilding/powerlifting strength training. Be prepared to be humbled by how hard the strength exercises are. The mobility sections will highlight how stiff you are.

In terms of maintaining muscle mass Joshua Naterman has good posts in the nutrition forum that will help you out.

P&R

Thanks for all of the advise.