This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Trial of lower frequency training

Started by Mark Collins, April 3, 2014 · 62 Replies · 2,701 Views

Jon Douglas
Mark Collins said:

Are you doing anything on the other days?

 

Keilani Gutierrez said:

Jon, question, so basically the 4xH1&2 is feeling more like active rest and the bulk of what's going on during the F7 is not so bad due to the added recovery? how do you feel at the end of a workout? (F7 specifically)

Yes, my 2-4x / weekly H1 is active rest in comparison in terms of effort, and the H2 portion of these days works different bits to F.

 

I feel.... fine at the end of an F workout, but I know that I've been training. Fine to train martial arts after that, and most often add some extra F work the same day-- esp static holds, I find I can often put up better sets in the afternoon. Not sure why that is... but other str work suffers post F on the same day.

I'm tossing up adding another half F session-- MWF

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

Yes, my 2-4x / weekly H1 is active rest in comparison in terms of effort, and the H2 portion of these days works different bits to F.

 

I feel.... fine at the end of an F workout, but I know that I've been training. Fine to train martial arts after that, and most often add some extra F work the same day-- esp static holds, I find I can often put up better sets in the afternoon. Not sure why that is... but other str work suffers post F on the same day.

I'm tossing up adding another half F session-- MWF

i can finally see how unlocking better mobility makes everything so much better....it literally is easier and you expend less energy by pure muscular effort to make a good session happen, when you can move into the planes you are performing with more grace and hence do what "seems" like a lot of work for someone who has...less mobility, because they can't even get to the starting position in the first place.

 

im stoked that i've been working on my mobility actively. i can finally lay on my back, one leg on the ground flat and raise a straight leg to almost 90 degrees. maybe 3-5 degrees away...and some PE's feel easier, others became a bit more challenging while the mobility stabilized. 

 

how have you maintained the mobility work? you don't have to write a routine, if you don't need to, the thinking behind it is what im refering to. when you feel tight and/or a bit injured, do it, if not, move forward? like your work on the SLS PE iM's? lot of questions all at once, i apologize.

Jon Douglas

Hmm, correction. Actually I think generally my form is better after strength training-- worked all the kinks out etc, so I can do large numbers of lower rep sets later in the day if I am restless and so inclined. I don't think I could repeat the morning workout though.

Jon Douglas
Keilani Gutierrez said:

 

how have you maintained the mobility work? you don't have to write a routine, if you don't need to, the thinking behind it is what im refering to. when you feel tight and/or a bit injured, do it, if not, move forward? like your work on the SLS PE iM's? lot of questions all at once, i apologize.

Coach has given us that one in the F3 forum.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/14148-weighted-lunge-vs-single-leg-squat/?p=139631 )

 

I warm up for Fseries with a run, deadlifts separated by shoulder mobility (according to the protocol outlined in that post) and the SLS structure also described in that thread, bent-arm warmup (2 sets pressing/pulling in different planes), straight arm warmup (one or two for each straight arm F progression), then into work sets.

 

The DLs and SLS protocol are a post-F2 warmup; I haven't spelled it all out here because it's useless until one has finished F2 SLS work :) I adapted this structure from Coachs notes on warming up in R1, and it seems to suit me well. I base further mobility work on what feels tight whilst warming up, but generally once you've got it you'll use it, and it will maintain itself as long as you are diligent about ROM and form, and might just need some rust brushed off it here and there. I'm happy to go by feel. HS days pretty well cover my shoulder mobility.

David Creekmore

I'm still on all my PE1s, but will probably move on to a few PE2's after I test.    So I'm new and still working through the program.  

My recovery time seems good and my work capacity is pretty huge I'm discovering.  

 

But I'm hampered by some shoulder issues that need extra time and daily rehab training.  And I do a fair amount of skill work on off days, some of which requires a lot of strength.  

That plus a busy schedule and a lot of international travel will make my workout routine more art than science I think.  At the moment I'm doing F7 Twice to get more recovery time and taking the deload week off entirely.  

I'll report back for sure.  

kdharani

I've been doing F7 2x a week since starting. I am about 8 weeks in but started a few PE's a few micro cycles in. Starting last week, I have noticed that the exercises at the end of the F7, I am missing reps on and I think it is purely due to exhaustion. I am thinking of switching over to F3 so that I don't feel like I am doing anything on an empty tank.

 

F7 is usually taking me about 60-70 minutes to finish but by the end I am dripping in sweat.

BMJD

So been doing 2 x F7 a week, and progress has been consistent. My question is for those who do other stuff besides foundation. Do you you also deload in the same cycle as your foundation?

 

Right now, I practice hand balancing 5 - 6 days (different intensities) a week including foundation and some other stuff. I've not exactly 'deloaded' on hand balancing practice as I thought that it wasn't a very physical thing, more mental for me. So wanted to ask if anybody did deloads for 'practices'?

Jon Douglas

I don't deload my grappling or other training, or warmup movements-- including my current baby, HS wall runs. After every deload week I see a marked increase in strength (caused by that whole allow neartotal recovery thing); if you do not then something needs to be tweaked :)

BMJD

Ok thx, I was thinking maybe if I deloaded on practice I might also see as much improvement as the way I'm doing foundation

Jon Douglas

Specifically for hand balancing and its overlap with GST there are other people that will be able to tell you better than me.

skeeter

Hi,

 

I have been doing F1 for a few months before taking off a month while traveling. I am starting again today, with thinking of doing the 3/day F1 program many mentioned above.

 

Does this mean doing F1 3x a week and H1 as chosen? Just wanted to confirm, I was a bit confused.

 

Thanks,
Noah

JimV

I was thinking the same thing, so I asked the "This Week's Workout" function and it gave me this schedule:

 

M: F1a

T: HS

W: F1b

Th: HS

F: F1a

 

M: F1b

T: HS

W: F1a

Th: HS

F: F1b

RF_Guy

Inspired by this thread I tried F1/H1 just once per week with kettlebell conditioning done on all other days for last couple of months. There is still seems to be decent progress and I have even mastered some. And no mental fatigue.

BTW after all these heavy Turkish get-ups, presses and F1/H1 combination shoulders are stronger and more mobile than ever, feel like brand new.