This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hamstring Warm Up for Windmills After Hurting Hamstring

Started by Mike71, March 26, 2014 · 5 Replies · 315 Views

Mike71

I have been performing Windmills for 4 weeks with my legs straight (but knees not locked).   Due to my improvement in Windmill ROM from week 1 to week 4, I had posted a question about whether or not to lock my legs.  

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/15532-windmills-mnpe1-im-straight-or-locked-knees/#entry151061

 

After learning that I should indeed lock my knees, I performed Windmills with locked knees on my next F1 workout day (2nd workout of week #4).  After I was finished, I noticed that my right hamstring felt like I had a big knot in it or like someone had given me a "charlie horse" in my hamstring.  It was not an acute pain that made me unable to walk or cause me to limp.  I just noticed it was tender when I touched it.  Today is day 4 since I last did Windmills and my hamstring is better but not 100% (does not feel like a "charlie horse" like on day 1 of injury).   Again I don't feel any pain when I walk nor does it cause me to limp.  It just feels tender and sore when touching it.

 

This has demonstrated to me  that I really need to improve my hamstring flexibility so this does not ever happen again.  Should I do any type of hamstring stretches or warmups before performing Windmills?  Or just take it slower when doing Windmills?  

 

Also, does this sound like a mild strain or a pulled hamstring?  I am guessing that it is not a pulled hamstring because I did not feel an immediate, sharp, debilitating pain.  Nor did it cause me pain when walking or cause me to limp.  It is just tender when touching it.

 

 

Thanks.

 

 

Mike

Alan Tseng

You can massage your hamstrings with a foam roller or you can use no weights or less weights you use for your work sets as a warmup before starting tuck ups and windmills.

Out of curiosity, how much weight are you using for windmills?

Alessandro Mainente

use a more efficient warm up as run, fast walk, run on the stairs for 8-10 times, then add dynamic  legs swing with bent and after straight leg on all directions (forward, backward, sideward).

Coach Sommer

Almost straight (knees not locked) is bent.  

 

When you transitioned to straight legs (locked knees) during your windmill work you essentially started over with a brand new exercise.  Reduce the weight you are using and begin again.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mike71
Hmms said:

You can massage your hamstrings with a foam roller or you can use no weights or less weights you use for your work sets as a warmup before starting tuck ups and windmills.

Out of curiosity, how much weight are you using for windmills?

 

I was only using a 5 pound dumbbell. My right shoulder was really tight in week 1 and I struggled with the shoulder ROM without any weight.  After my shoulder ROM increased I added the 5 pound dumbbell in weeks 2 - 4.    

 

BTW - the foam roller at the gym has helped.  I will probably invest in one for use at my home.  Thanks.

Mike71

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!!!