This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Windmills (MN/PE1 > iM) - Straight or Locked Knees?

Started by Mike71, March 19, 2014 · 3 Replies · 253 Views

Mike71

I just started week 4 of F1 and I am much better at Windmills now than I was on my first try in week 1.   With my improved form and range of motion, I was curious about the leg position.  The course video says to keep the legs straight.  Does that mean to keep the knees locked as we bend down and back up? Thanks.

 

Mike

wheezer

Great work with the increased ROM Mike!

As Zach said, looking your knees with both moving and motionless stretches will help. it will give more stretch for your hamstrings and lower back, which you will need for F2 when you get there.

Mike71
Zach Armijo said:

Correct. Straight legs = knees locked. Certainly don't over tense, but just make sure that knee is pressed back. Same with your stretches. There is a big difference in legs being straight, and legs being straight with knees pressed down to the floor. 

 

 

Thanks for the clarification!

 
Mike71
wheezer said:

Great work with the increased ROM Mike!

As Zach said, looking your knees with both moving and motionless stretches will help. it will give more stretch for your hamstrings and lower back, which you will need for F2 when you get there.

 

Thanks Wheezer!  The first time I tried Windmills with no weight, my right shoulder was so tight it was very uncomfortable performing this movement.  Interestingly I had no problems doing dumbbell / barbell presses during my weight training days.  I never realized how much mobility I lacked in my shoulders until Windmills.  Shoulders are feeling great!  Now I need to focus and get this movement down with locked knees.