This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck squat fail

Started by Michael Cavanagh, March 11, 2014 · 9 Replies · 300 Views

Michael Cavanagh

I've just started the foundation series and I'm having some serious trouble with the deck squat. I must have some hip / ankle issues because I'm having difficulty getting back up on my feet after I squat and roll back. My legs want to cross to allow my torso to move far enough forward to get my weight over my feet. Lots of resistance getting knees close to chest and I end up rolling up on my toes. I would appreciate any advice.

Bipocni

Use the search function.

 

Edit: but seriously, crossed legs will happen at first, you just need to be strict and it will go away after a while.

Michael Cavanagh

Thanks for the help.  I'll keep working on the mobility. 

Kage

Try building it up with mats, I think I read that in one of those threads and it helps me a lot. I just could not for my life roll up, but with mats I get a feel for it, and will just work week 1-4 on repeat, removing one mat for each "cycle". I don't think it's just mobility either, now it has started feeling like there is some deep abdominal activation/hip musculature stuff going on as well ;)

Bipocni
Kage said:

Try building it up with mats, I think I read that in one of those threads and it helps me a lot. I just could not for my life roll up, but with mats I get a feel for it, and will just work week 1-4 on repeat, removing one mat for each "cycle". I don't think it's just mobility either, now it has started feeling like there is some deep abdominal activation/hip musculature stuff going on as well ;)

Yeah, hollow rocks helped me quite a lot with this one.

fazool

Related question: How thick are the mats?

Kage

I just used some regular stretching mats, I guess they are like 0.5-1cm thick or something.
Doesn't really matter though? Although thinner mats lets you stack more, so you can decrease height in smaller increments.

Michael Cavanagh

Thanks everyone.... i just used some square floor pillows that were about 5 inches thick with a folded blanket on top, which added another inch, or so.  Made it much easier and I can feel more activation deep in the stomach area.  I'll keep stretching to help with the hip mobility. 

IBGC

You will definitely get there if you're patient, I started with a three panel mat folded up about 6 months ago and I'm finally down to doing it on floor. Yippee! :)