This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck Squats... I can't do a single one.

Started by David Soto Jr., February 22, 2014 · 9 Replies · 392 Views

David Soto Jr.

After some trials and tribulations I was able to figure out how the program works and am feeling good about my progress but I have a new obstacle that I need help with.  I can not do a single Deck Squat. I completed week four of the training and don't know what to do come monday should I move to week five for SLS/PE1 or should I start over again from week one? 

 

I sure this has everything to do with mobility. I just can't get my feet close enough to my butt to make it work. I always end up leaning to one side and pushing off with my hand.  I still go through the motions and all the way through but can not get on my feet without using my hands. 

 

Thanks for your advice in advance. 

Bipocni

Can you sit on the floor in the seiza position?  Between that and working on holding the bottom position of a squat, you should be able to build up the required mobility to tuck the feet properly.

 

Search the forums, there's been quite a few threads about this already.

Alessandro Mainente

 the biggest problem that i've encountered with my clients is that they cannot maintain a correct and solid link between upper body and lower body. if you break the line you cannot move up.

so i will share with you what i usually do with people with lack of proficiency with deck squat:

- find the mobility issue: can you do a hindu squat ? is a full squat ass to the groove with heels on the floor.

if you can or if you cannot you can follow those tips.

-grab a swiss ball then coke it, between your chest and your quads while you are holding the legs in the position of bent hollow body hold. no arms work here, pressure is done by chest and legs

-perform at least 15-20 rocks in this position without lose the ball

-now roll on your shoulder (inverted position) while holding the ball

-as you move down don't lose the contact with ball and use the rolling speed to put the heels on floor, repeat this stage until you have a decent roll

-remove the ball and try to roll and when you reach the bottom part of hindu squat instead of maintain the legs closed, open then ad move quickly the upper body between legs. repeat until this stage is solid

-repeat the previous adding the squat

-repeat the previous with closed legs

 

i find it very very useful. i suggest to you to use for the beginning stages a big swissball then a medium then finally a small ball. this will help to prevent breaks in bodyline.

IBGC

I was like this too what really helped me was trying to get my shoulders over my knees before I stood up but more importantly starting by doing the move off an elevation like say a 3 panel mat folded up so that your bum is higher than your feet as you try to stand up; like getting up off a really low seat. You roll back on the mat then roll forward and plant your feet on the floor and stand up. Over time you can reduce the height of the elevation you use and try to get your feet closer together. I started off by standing up off a folded up 3 panel mat with feet wide apart and am now down to where I can do it off a single panel with feet close together it takes time but you'll get there.

Ronin168

you need to do some quad stretches (heel to butt stretches, or as close to heel-to-butt as you can manage)

David Soto Jr.
Bipocni said:

Can you sit on the floor in the seiza position?  Between that and working on holding the bottom position of a squat, you should be able to build up the required mobility to tuck the feet properly.

 

Search the forums, there's been quite a few threads about this already.

Seiza is a big no go for me. Although I have been working on my bottom squat position and calf stretching for a while now it never occurred to me work on the the seiza position. I will start adding that immediately. 

 

And you were right there are a lot of good information about this already out there. Thanks!

David Soto Jr.
ewethestuff said:

Technically you should repeat the first cycle, and focus the majority of your time on mobility to fix the issue. However, if the work isn't so hard for you there's probably no problem with using the few extra reps of week 5 to practice more.

 

Video would be best for people to help.

Just the info I needed . Thanks. 

David Soto Jr.

Thanks to everyone for all your input.  With a combination of what you all passed on to me I was not only able to get my first deck squat, I completed 4 sets of 6. Score!