Hey all,
Has anyone else found the transition between SLS/SE4>im (natural Glute Ham Raise) to SLS/SE5>im (Glute Ham Raise) to be difficult? On SE5>im I'm unable to get passed the back curl onto my knees, however my single leg squats are fine.
Currently I'm continuing with SLS/SE4>im trying to bend less at the hips to increase difficulty so I can progress on to SE5>im. Is this the best course or should I be performing SE4>im with a weight too increase strength?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
SLS/SE5>im
Started by Oliver Harris, March 4, 2014 · 13 Replies · 409 Views
I used two methods to assist my GHR to start with-- hand spotting with my fingers and allowing a bend at the hip while pulling back up. And I did my best to eliminate them in that order-- get rid of the hands as soon as possible even if it meant more of a hip bend, and aiming to at least perform the negatives with a straight a body and with control.
Work hard and although they seem impossible at first, they come faster than you think ![]()
Yes it can be difficult, try to do SLS/SE3>iM with :
- no hands assistance (or really light)
- slowest descent possible
That certainly is good news, when using your hands for spotting were they just below waist height?
Oliver Harris said:That certainly is good news, when using your hands for spotting were they just below waist height?
Yes, just around there, since I was hanging down at 90 degrees
there really isn't a reliable way to scale hand spotting down by yourself, so I thought it was best to just eliminate it as soon as possible.
Thinking about it, I guess if your proportions allow you could sort of progress bent arm> straight arm > fingers, but I think that's probably unnecessary-- your hamstrings are reasonably strong from NLC and that fine a gradient won't make much difference IMO.
Great, thanks for the help guys, I shall get to work.
There's not heaps of detail, but here's an overview of what happened when I started with them (note the post dates)
Out of curiosity, what do you guys train these on? Every now and the I have access to a real gymnastics gym and then I do them on the horse like in the course vid. But at home??
Mats Trane said:Out of curiosity, what do you guys train these on? Every now and the I have access to a real gymnastics gym and then I do them on the horse like in the course vid. But at home??
Park table w/ straps under feet. You get a few funny looks, but #yolo
A while back I accidentally snapped one of the levers off my ring straps; I use the unbroken one for legs work (although today it lost a couple feet because I also used it to make ring straps
)
Jon Douglas said:Park table w/ straps under feet. You get a few funny looks, but #yolo
A while back I accidentally snapped one of the levers off my ring straps; I use the unbroken one for legs work (although today it lost a couple feet because I also used it to make ring straps
)
Thanks Jon, did a similar thing on our livingroom couch for the arch ups. Wife not to happy ![]()
Hmm, iM5 is definitely tricky. The dining table doesn't really work, it's too wobbly. Has anyone tried doing these on a padded parallel bar? Also, these are tough, haven't even managed to get near a good rep yet. Well, today was my first session, so we'll see.
On a related note, I'm beginning to get a bit sore in the hamstring tendon near the outside of the knee. I don't think I've progressed too quickly on the SLS, but have not really done any sort of hamstring specific training in the past, meaning that the tendon is probably just weak and now overused, so that may explain why. I'll revert to SE1>iM for this cycle and see how it goes. Anyone else experienced this?
That tendon is the bicep femoris tendon. If you watch the videos of the SLS/im 3 and 4 in F2, you will notice that the guy behind is holding his feet in full plantar flexion and heals together....this stops the tibia from being forced into an internal rotated position and consequently 1) adding a shearing force on the knee and 2) keeps the emphasis of the effort across the Semi T and M and Biceps F. If you perform this movement with your feet resting on the lateral sides and heals rotated out, you were put significant stress on the biceps femoris....I.E the muscle you are having problems with!
So my question to you is....what is the position of your feet and how far apart are your knees when performing these movements??
Jon Douglas said:Park table w/ straps under feet. You get a few funny looks, but #yolo
A while back I accidentally snapped one of the levers off my ring straps; I use the unbroken one for legs work (although today it lost a couple feet because I also used it to make ring straps
)
same thing just happened to me the other day so i might try it with rope instead
On 10/4/2014 at 0:15 AM, Mikkel Ravn said:Hmm, iM5 is definitely tricky. The dining table doesn't really work, it's too wobbly. Has anyone tried doing these on a padded parallel bar? Also, these are tough, haven't even managed to get near a good rep yet. Well, today was my first session, so we'll see.
On a related note, I'm beginning to get a bit sore in the hamstring tendon near the outside of the knee. I don't think I've progressed too quickly on the SLS, but have not really done any sort of hamstring specific training in the past, meaning that the tendon is probably just weak and now overused, so that may explain why. I'll revert to SE1>iM for this cycle and see how it goes. Anyone else experienced this?
Blast from the past: So it took me basically two years from I wrote the post above, to getting to where I am now, where the hamstring feels as strong as stable as the quads. Totally pain free Bicep Femoris tendon now. Didn't realise that much time had passed!
It's still difficult to really get to grips with the GHR, since I lack a good way to train them. At the climbing gym, there are a few parkour boxes that are ok-ish, although they wobble around too much. Also, due to A/B workout structure, I'm only training at the gym every other SLS-session.
I'm usually pretty good at improvising, but this one's leaving me a bit stumped.