This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE4>im

Started by Jon Douglas, November 22, 2013 · 20 Replies · 644 Views

Jon Douglas

Hokay. I'm finally confident with my natural GHR, and I am swinging into the full movement next week. With a little testing, I can do a reasonable negative with a straight body, but to get up I'm requiring hand assistance (on the table around my waist) and a hip pike (I haven't seriously trained this movement before).

Is this a reasonable beginning standard, obviously with the intention of cleaning this up as much as I can? Or am I better off keeping as straight a body as possible and using momentum instead to assist the leg curl?

 

Second question, what is appropriate to warm up for these? Up until now I'd done;

Cossack squats, some mobility (twisting, inside...), static SLS (for the ankle stretch) before going onto full SLS paired with natural GHR (yes, I fudged the order a touch after weeks of easy rolling SLS). My SLS work comes after SL and Mn, so my back and hips are quite warm; is this sufficient or does anyone have any pet drills they use for full GHR?

 

Thanks for your time :)

Joshua Slocum

Seems to me that doing some leg curls with a slider would be a good warm up for the hamstrings. 

Bipocni

I'd try to minimize the piking at the hips before reducing the hand assistance one finger at a time.  But focus on getting the straight body line first, so that it's working your muscles the right way.

 

I seem to remember from BtGB that single leg arch ups came before NLC progressions.  Could work for a warmup if your lower back can take it (and from your back limber thread, I'm willing to bet it can!)

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

I'd try to minimize the piking at the hips before reducing the hand assistance one finger at a time.  But focus on getting the straight body line first, so that it's working your muscles the right way.

 

I seem to remember from BtGB that single leg arch ups came before NLC progressions.  Could work for a warmup if your lower back can take it (and from your back limber thread, I'm willing to bet it can!)

Single leg archups don't put much on the lower back, nothing like having both legs attached-- 80% ish hamstring IME. Not a bad idea though, I think I'll play with that on Tues.

As for the assistance part, it doesn't really work that way with the fingers. Unfortunately I don't have anywhere to attach a band to assist, which would be my preference.

There's probably a certain amount of COOMMMMIITTTT holding me back-- not quite game to swing up to a position to finish the leg curl with a straight body as in the demo. I've only dabbled in it so far-- will put serious reps in this week and see how we go.

 

Bugger; BJJ on Tues after these. I'm gonna be in some *pain* I think :) oh well, won't be the first or last time...

Jon Douglas

Nb-- make sure you do a hard glute stretch after working these for reasonable reps. I built up some significant tension in my lower back and glutes, and a hard glute stretch for a couple minutes each side has alleviated it entirely, and feels absolutely wonderful. Legs are tingling happily right down to my toes, deepdeep relaxation therein.

Will post picture tomorrow to illustrate; I will be absolutely religious about this post GHR work in future.

Jon Douglas

Never, never underestimate that toolbox of mobility drills we are building up. Being able to perform basic maintenance of your body and keep it running smoothly even when you are pushung it fairly hard is a *huge* thing.

Boris Mikael Taube

When you perform GHR you should be squezzing the glutes together to be completely straight? 

Just wondering, im not there yet. im stuck on sls pe1 because of tight ankles

Bipocni

So can you pull of a GHR then?  Or are you still stuck on negatives?

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

So can you pull of a GHR then?  Or are you still stuck on negatives?

I'm okay with it, my body is not completely straight through the hips but it's trainable. Using momentum in the same way Heath does in the video, although I'm probably swinging higher than that too for the leg curl.

VegVeg

Speaking of GHR's , how are you doing them without a partner/machine?

 

I just can't find anything to anchor my feet together , any ideas?

Bipocni

Ring straps.

gohei_

Stall bars perhaps. 

VegVeg

Don't have either of these ;c

gohei_

Well, if you have access to a gym with a smith-bar (they're called that right?) I suppose you could load it up with weights and just put a bench or something in front of it.

Jon Douglas

Yes, Im using ring straps around a park bench with a folded towel under my knees, and it works very well.

VegVeg

Damn I don't have anything :P

 

Which rings would you recommend guys??

Keilani Gutierrez
VegVeg said:

Damn I don't have anything :P

 

Which rings would you recommend guys??

get a yoga mat, park your car in the grass or somewhere reasonably level and stick your feet under the car. :P I did that a few times before I got my roman chair

Joakim Anderson
KeilaniG said:

get a yoga mat, park your car in the grass or somewhere reasonably level and stick your feet under the car. :P I did that a few times before I got my roman chair

 

What kind do you have?

Keilani Gutierrez
Joakim Anderson said:

What kind do you have?

Toyota Tundra(sold it after 13yrs with me and 328,000miles on it.) on an island that measures 110miles per 35miles.  B-)

Joakim Anderson

I forgot to specify, I meant the roman chair. :D