This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Where to Buy Rings, Which Brand & Material (i.e. Wood) ?

Started by Mike71, February 28, 2014 · 13 Replies · 318 Views

Mike71

My gym has these TRX Pro straps that I have been using for Hinge Rows (RC/PE1) but I don't feel that the handles hang at the correct width.  The handles do not seem to be at the same width as the rings in the RC/PE1 video.  So I thought this would be a good time for me to invest in a set of rings.  I was curious as to what brand rings are recommended and what material (i.e. wood)?  Amazon has a set of SPRI wooden rings for $89 (USD).  

 

http://www.amazon.com/SPRI-05-60582-Wood-Rings-Set/dp/B00G8UJZBQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1393568178&sr=8-15&keywords=Spri+exercise+rings

 

I plan to do my ring training at the gym with the rings hanging from a Smith Machine Bar or Pull Up bar.  My gym has a lot of SPRI branded products, just no rings.  Thanks.

 

 

Mike

 

 

 

post-10967-0-75464100-1393572840_thumb.j

Ravn

Plywood is more pleasing, both aesthethically and to the touch. I've got both a set of nice wood rings and some cheapo plastic ones, which oddly enough are the ones I use the most. Perhaps because I don't have to worry about them getting scuffed, rubbing against buckles and such.

 

Both types will work well, but the wooden ones may have slightly better grip when you sweat. That's not really an issue however, if you use chalk.

Joshua Slocum

It's hard to find a downright *bad* set of rings. There isn't much that can go wrong. Wood tends to be more expensive than polycarbonate, but also holds onto chalk a bit better. If you do get polycarbonate (plastic) rings, you may want to wind some athletic tape around the bottom for a better grip. 

RF_Guy

I personally like Rogue Fitness Wood rings. Not the best but good price and it is wood.

Daniel Burnham

My only recommendation is to get standard thickness. The thicker ones are not comfortable. Also don't get metal. Too slippery and cold.

Mike71
Aaron said:

 

That price seems reasonable.  The straps may be a bit long for use on a Smith Machine bar but I suppose I could wrap them around the top of the machine to adjust the height.  I will find a way to make it work.  Thanks for the recommendation!

 

 

What do others do for a quick set up?  Are there quick release/set up straps that can be recommended?  I will not be able to leave the rings permanently attached as I will have to take them with me in my gym bag to and from the gym for each workout.

 

 

Thanks to everyone for all the input on different materials.  I will stay with wood.

Mike71

I found a set of these wooden rings that have straps with markers.  

 

http://www.ringtraining.com/shop/equipment/138-elite-wooden-gym-rings.html

 

Since I will be using my rings at the gym I need to be efficient with setting them up and taking them down for each training session.  Does anyone else know where to get rings with straps that have number markers? Or the best set for mobile training (I travel for work).  Thanks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

post-10967-0-40266000-1393618301_thumb.j

Mike71

Sorry about that, but I just now saw the "Equipment" forum. I had been only using the Foundation forum.

Destiny
Daniel Burnham said:

My only recommendation is to get standard thickness. The thicker ones are not comfortable. Also don't get metal. Too slippery and cold.

is 1.11" standard thickness?

William

Bought my for 28€ via service in austria, wooden rings, very nice. cannot understand some prices here :D my are fine after two years of summer, winter...training outside