Training Foundation 1 early in the morning

Started by kindred_fp, February 24, 2014 · 17 Replies · 4,199 Views

kindred_fp

Curious if anyone has experience training foundation 1 early in the morning even before breakfast.

 

I usually would do my sports/exercise after work, as it gives me a nice way to end the day.

 

But my schedule kinda hs changed so I'm thinking of doing the program first thing I get out of bed and a good warmup.  I'm curious if the workout is more designed to be trained after some nutrition has gone to the body.  

thecolin

I have no problems training before breakfast. I find it doubtful that your body is going to be starving for energy after a night of sleep. But some people disagree with this and think pre-workout nutrition is essential. There are two distinct schools of thought on the subject, and delving into it too deeply probably won't be productive.

 

Since it seems like you're already doing Foundation, it seems like a pretty straight forward experiment. Just try it and see how it compares to your previous workouts. Are you able to do the same sets and reps with a similar effort as before? And after a few weeks does your progress seem similar?

 

The main struggle might be getting yourself used to rolling out of bed and being active. So make sure you're able to wake yourself up properly so you can apply yourself fully to your workout. Don't confuse sleepiness with a lack of food.

Bipocni

I always do my workout before breakfast.  I tend to have a cup of coffee first, as the long holds can be a bit daunting (seriously, who wants to roll out of bed and do 10 minutes of hollow rocks?)

 

Having a pre-workout shake or a glass of milk will give you enough carbs/protein to make it through the workout, but you don't really need it.

Jon Douglas

Coffee and choc milk here. But as Colin said focus more than anything. I had much less time than I do now in one of my previous jobs, and got into the position of either training first thing or missing my shot at training at home that day. Now it doesn't feel right unless i start the day with a sweat :)

Daniel Burnham

At the very least pretty much everyone agreed bcaa supplementation is a good call before what is essentially a fasted workout. Foundation is relatively short and doesn't need a ton of energy. If you are doing a longer workout or a very high intensity workout then is would be a good idea to get more carbs in. Even fructose.

I still recommend a little carb supplementation beforehand but you probably won't be too bad off if you're just doing an hour of foundation one.

If suggest you try no food, and then the next week try something like a handful of rice crispys and protein or bcaa about 10 min before and see what the difference is for you.

mlaen

I do F in do morning before the work. I usually have a tablespoon of oats with some honey. Then 10min of cycling to the gym and I'm there aroud 7-8 AM. It's a small portion but I need it since I always wake up hungry :)

ForzaCavaliere
Bipocni said:

seriously, who wants to roll out of bed and do 10 minutes of hollow rocks?

 

That's me at the moment lol. 

 

I love training early in the morning, before breakfast. That way I know I have paid my dues for the day and can take it easy or focus on whatever else needs to be done. I found that training in the evening made my mentality such that my day was spent with my mind occupied on training. Training in the morning feels great, and I'm not even a morning person.

 

The only thing about early morning training that I question is if it has any effects on hypertrophy per se, I don't really know what it does.

Matteo.Za
ForzaCavaliere said:

 I found that training in the evening made my mentality such that my day was spent with my mind occupied on training.

I can feel that.

Riku Calderón

I train in the morning normally! It´s great. The whole day is kind of easy after :D

kindred_fp

Thanks for the replies everyone, I tried it this morning.

 

I felt like my muscles were so tight, it seems like I need a better warmup to do any type of training in the morning.  What do you guys usually do as a good warmup?  Skipping, bodyweight movements ( find this a bit to harsh on the body while your muscles are still cold right?) running, jogging in place?

El Chino

I have recently switched to training in the morning. It is tough and I also need a longer warmup to get going so I just go for a 15 min run which tends to do the trick. However, it is winter where I am so if it's a bit colder than normal then I have a hot shower before. That definitely works to loosen the joints!  :)

Bipocni
kindred_fp said:

What do you guys usually do as a good warmup?

Wear a jacket...

 

Nah seriously though, I don't tend to spend too much time warming up.  I find the warmup sets tend to be enough for me, especially considering I always start with planks or hollows anyway.

Coach Sommer

A short 10 min foam rolling session is an excellent way to get the body ready for morning training.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

TANSTAAFL
Coach Sommer said:

A short 10 min foam rolling session is an excellent way to get the body ready for morning training.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

That reminds me, here's Eric Cressey's input.

NoHiddenCosts
Coach Sommer said:

A short 10 min foam rolling session is an excellent way to get the body ready for morning training.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you so much for saying this. This is what I will do to warm-up for recovery-day stretching. Don't know why I didn't think of that!

Seems like you've got enough replies already, but to add to the bunch, I also do F1/H1 training in the morning, 30 mins after I wake up (fasted). I have to walk to the gym (a short, 10 minute walk), and then I do a solid 10 minutes of warming up with some of the elements I have mastered from F1. The foam rolling suggested by Coach Sommer also seems like a great idea! (But I'm assuming it is supposed to precede a normal warm-up?)

Jon Douglas

Hmm, I've never really been one for foam rolling, but knowing Coach's complete intolerance for fads I might give it another look.

Keilani Gutierrez
Jon Douglas said:

Hmm, I've never really been one for foam rolling, but knowing Coach's complete intolerance for fads I might give it another look.

it really gets you acquainted with anatomy and what it does, if you do it frequently.  

Jon Douglas

Found a half price foam roller, so I picked it up-- will play with it tonight.

Could be marginal, could be new best friend. We shall see.