This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder dislocates

Started by Tomas Johansson, February 23, 2014 · 10 Replies · 496 Views

Tomas Johansson

Hi, 

 

time for me to pick up the dislocates. Can you suggest a training routine for me? Reps, sets, times/week, weigths, width and all?

KibboKift

Hi Tomas,

 

I would strongly recommend starting H1. I don't think it's giving too much away to say that dislocates are included - since if I remember rightly, they are Coach's favourite shoulder exercise. I started H1 less than 2 months ago and have already seen tangible improvements in shoulder mobility and a welcome carry over to SL PE1. If your mobility is anything like mine, when you look through the progressions you realise its going to be a long road, but all the more reason to begin immediately. After all H1 and F1 were always designed to be trained concurrently and complement eachother.

 

At the moment H1 takes me less than 20 minutes, twice a week.

 

If you're still intent on just doing dislocates, check out the sticky in the Mobility forum, which contains most of the info you're looking for.

Bipocni

Generally unweighted you can do them for 2x10 every day.  Try not to push your ROM with these.

 

Work on getting down to shoulder width+a hand (for me about 40cm) before you really try to push it with the weight.  Generally accepted protocol is 5x5 2-3 times a week.  Work up to that ROM, then add weight, then work back up to that ROM, repeat.

 

You should aim to shoot for 20 kg before moving onto disadvantaged leverage dislocates.

 

Don't forget to warm up thoroughly.  Probably best to do them after an upper-body workout.

Tomas Johansson

Actually I do own the H1 but I haven't really got it started, I'm so lacking on one of the hand flexibility excercises so I try to get that one up to par to even start the first progression. After that I will start doing H1 work.

Keilani Gutierrez

post about this in the relevant forum guys :) if you continue here, you wont be able to go as in depth to answer your doubts.

Bipocni

Just noticed this was in the F1 forum.  It really belongs in the mobility forum.  Can we get a moderator to move it?

KibboKift
Tomas Johansson said:

Actually I do own the H1 but I haven't really got it started, I'm so lacking on one of the hand flexibility excercises so I try to get that one up to par to even start the first progression. After that I will start doing H1 work.

 

KeilaniG said:

post about this in the relevant forum guys :) if you continue here, you wont be able to go as in depth to answer your doubts.

Yes this would be much easier in the H1 forum :)

Tomas, I would be more than happy to explain why I think you're making a mistake by owning H1 and not using it if you post your doubts in that forum.

Tomas Johansson

Ok, since we are in H1 forum now. :) 

 

I'm not getting a 90 degree bend in the FKP PE1 but find the other PE1 quite easy so I just work on the FKP PE1 at the moment. I know I don't have to keep all the excercises in sync but in this case I prefer to put my energy elsewhere for the moment.

KibboKift
Tomas Johansson said:

 

I'm not getting a 90 degree bend in the FKP PE1 but find the other PE1 quite easy so I just work on the FKP PE1 at the moment.

If you're not working the PE's and want to spend your time elsewhere, then that's your decision, but once you do, IMHO you want your wrists to be as well conditioned as possible to reduce the risk of injury. Many (most?) of us have this deficiency too, but I think virtually everyone is working harder progressions of the other wrist exercises at the same time.

 

I wondered about incorporating dislocates until I read this thread:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/14590-overgrip-dislocates/

It seems that skipping ahead to dislocates is a bad idea if you have not first mastered the earlier iM's. I don't think this means you're likely to injure yourself if you try, unless you're really agressive; just that you won't progress as quickly as you would by starting at the beginning and focusing on "first things first".

 

Anyway, what I really wanted to emphasize is that some of this stuff can take a long time, so better to start right away. It irks me to think where I would be now if I had begun H1 when it was released.

Bipocni
KibboKift said:

It irks me to think where I would be now if I had begun H1 when it was released.

Don't forget all those years spent training before it was released in the first place....

ausswe

I'd be careful doing them every day unweighted. When I do dislocates several times a week unweighted I start to feel unstable in my shoulder joint when doing specific heavy movements especially in climbing be ause I've increased my rom but not my strength in that rom. Have come close to injuring my shoulder because of unweighted dislocates. Decided to do 3 timesweighted and a couple of reps unweighted on days I feel tight. Seems like more than enough as I am progressing faster than expected with them