is soreness an indicator for a good workout?

Started by lisiflex, February 19, 2014 · 7 Replies · 2,123 Views

lisiflex

Do you always need to be at least a little sore to have a positve effect?

Or will you make bigger progress when you are sore?


Occassionally, I am really sore, when I do some new work outs. The first time I did diamond push ups, I felt my shoulders sore for days! But no matter how many I did the next workout, I don't feel anything anymore.

The same is with L-Sits, V-Ups and Leg Raises or Press Handstands.

The first 1-2 times I did them I was sore. But now I don't feel anything, no matter how much I do.

Do I progress then although if I am not sore? Is it better for progress to be sore the next day?
 

Adriano Augusto

Sore is just a result of a new stimulus, either by tempo, volume, intensity, frequency, new exercise, etc. That doesn't mean that you're progressing better or even that you are going to progress, just that you've put a new stress on your body. That stress even could be wrong executed and still get sore from that.

 

Progress is nothing about sore or DOMS. Progress is just a matter of effort, discipline and progression. 

Ravn

I get the same as you - New exercises often induce soreness. However, progress is not measured in soreness, it is measured in whether or not you have moved closer to your stated goal. Soreness is a side effect.

ajoOba

i always ask me that when training but i think soreness is not needed to make progress in sports.

 

if you feel your form gets bad during a workout i would always stop. in bodybuilding you would like to push it to the limits to break the muscle down and give him enough regeneration days to compensate after that... so more soreness will always leed to more regeneration time needed. there you will have the biggest results in terms of muscle gains. but in gymnastics terms i think its better to stop before you get too sore and just do more workouts per week. if you get too sore and dont regenerate enough it will lead to overtraining soon

 

i also recognized that if you want to get sore every workout you can become addicted to it

Christoph

If you get sore every workout you will pretty soon tear your muscles.

William

Adriano and Ravn hit the nail! :)

Frankincensed

It can mean that you had a good workout, but it can also mean that you had a bad workout! 

So really it doesn't mean anything in regards to that.

 

However I do think some trainers and boot camps attempt to induce it, so that people will feel they are acomplishing something and come back for more. It becomes like crack to those folks.

 

Do you like it?

 

I don't mind it for a day or two, however once I had it for 5 days. That was clearly too long, besides which is was too painful to sit on the toilet most of that time!

Jon Douglas

Nooo... but sometimes, like with H2 work, it is sort of comforting to be tight in the traps the day after so I know i am at least hitting the right areas.

In terms of positive indicators, performance improvement is a better one