I just finished 4 Sets of 60 seconds at the top of the pull up position. I think this one was the hardest one so far. i thought my pulling strength is quiet ok, but this workout was the hardest pulling i have ever done. next week 5 sets, o my god... already shaking. ;-)
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
RC/PE6 Hardcore, 60 sec Holds in week 10
Started by Sascha Faltinger, February 18, 2014 · 61 Replies · 2,828 Views
I find it really interesting to see where other people have sticking points. Out of the ones that seem common to most(SL PE1, MN PE2, RC PE6) I actually find this one rather easy in comparison.
i will try pe 6 soon, bulgarian rows 5x5 are really easy, i find it easier than the pe 5 with 5x10.
but i m looking forward to test my holding time ![]()
I think the big difference is you go from a relatively easy exercise only doing 5x5(20 second tut) with 30 seconds rest to doing huge volume 5x60 seconds with about 10 seconds rest.... So volume increases by 3 and rest time decrease by 3..... So far my main weakness is my endurance. God I hate strength endurance training ![]()
I also just did my first set of 4x60s yesterday! It helps me to recall that I don't need to find it easy, I just need to do it. It's fine that they're hard—they are!
yes, its hard for biceps, lat and mostly upper abs... strange... i tested already all of the foundation 2 RC Exercises. All of them are a lot easier than the long hold....
think i will keep this static hold in my warmup routine because i never want to loose the endurance...
Finished my second set of 4x48s yesterday. Not many seconds left in the tank after. Will fail for sure at 4x60s
. I get to rest at least 40 seconds between sets since I have to rig my stall bar subtitute between sets. Maybe i am doing the im a little slower than in the video as well.
It took me very long to get through PE3 and PE4, but bulgarian rows were easier. Hoping to finish this one faster.
I got to week 9 then at week 10 I regressed back to week 7
. So frustrating.... These things are killing me
. on the bright side once I've done them I will fly through most of f2 and f3 for RC though so I don't mind spending some months on these if I have to. They are doing wonders for my rock climbing ability I think.
exactly how i progress. after mastering PE/6 i can rin through Foundation2&3 :-) very excited.
I have trouble with this as well. I haven't failed yet (5x36s), but I anticipate that I might on the 48s. If I do, what do I do with the program? Do I just fail through that week and then change my settings? If so, what is the recommended manner to change my settings?
i working on 48-48-36-36,next will be 48-48-48-36 etc.
Milkman said:I have trouble with this as well. I haven't failed yet (5x36s), but I anticipate that I might on the 48s. If I do, what do I do with the program? Do I just fail through that week and then change my settings? If so, what is the recommended manner to change my settings?
Focus on doing just a little bit more every workout. Even if it's just an extra second, it all adds up: eventually you'll get there.
I'm really finding this progress very slow-going. I'm even adding some "grease the groove" work on off-days. I'm adding some negatives after my work sets. Yet, I really have a hard time even imagining getting 5 sets of 60 seconds with little rest between sets. This just seems impossible. Typically, I can get 60 seconds on the first set (though I usually just shoot for 48 seconds in order to eventually get 5x48s). After that, it diminishes quickly; often it looks something like 1) 48s, 2) 48s, 3) 40s, 4) 35s, 5) 30s.
Very, very frustrating. I suspect this is much harder for big guys like me. My kids don't do any of this stuff and they can hold 30 seconds. I have no doubt they could get up to 5x60s in pretty short order.
Try 10 sets of 30 seconds. easy. you'll feel it, but then you've got the same volume as 5 x 60. You just have to start condensing it.
This one was a sticking point for me as well. Just like MNPE6, SLPE2, FLPE5, SLSSE3 (mobility), sPLSE1 (mobility), and HBPPE17 (balance). You work hard and it makes it all the more enjoyable when you move on and make some progress.
MT Nordic said:Try 10 sets of 30 seconds. easy. you'll feel it, but then you've got the same volume as 5 x 60. You just have to start condensing it.
This one was a sticking point for me as well. Just like MNPE6, SLPE2, FLPE5, SLSSE3 (mobility), sPLSE1 (mobility), and HBPPE17 (balance). You work hard and it makes it all the more enjoyable when you move on and make some progress.
Off topic, but you seem to be doing well, slightly envious here ![]()
I'm willing to try that MT Nordic. How do you suggest I do that, do I use that protocol in place of my 5x60s work sets?
I did as strme said and worked up the sets unevenly. Generally i prefer to re run microcycles on failure, but for this one it wasn't working so well and just had to keep picking up.an extra second here and there.
Eventually you're going to bear down and do it. How much that will suck depends on your particular strengths
but regardless discomfort is quickly forgotten in the glow of victory
It's just a different approach to build volume without burning out or working to failure EVERY time. I wouldn't do it exclusively, but if you have 2 workouts a week, try this for one, and your usual for the other. I think it will help you make progress faster, and you'll be building more volume for the long sets. I'd do 10 x 30" until that's easy, then 9 x 33, then 8 x 37, 7 x 42, 6 x 50, then 5 x60
Sometimes these tricks are just mental, but I think this method allows you to build volume without going to failure. in other words recovery is easier. Obviously you're going to go to failure sometimes and need to to finish this one, but doing it once a week instead of twice will help mentally and physically. See how it goes for you.
On failure--
This element more than many demonstrates the difference between actual failure and discomfort. Unless and until your chin dips below that bar, you have not failed. Forearms burning, lats uncomfortably pumped up? Still not failure. Out stubborn the clock and get it done, learn your lessons and move on ![]()
keeping this exercise in my warm up routine. 80 sec feel easy now. made big progress. will increase the time bit by bit. maybe to reach the 120 sec mark while still keeping fresh...;-)
saschali1979 said:keeping this exercise in my warm up routine. 80 sec feel easy now. made big progress. will increase the time bit by bit. maybe to reach the 120 sec mark while still keeping fresh...;-)
excellent idea.
I got my rings after getting F1 so I started my RC progression later than everything else and I'm still building up volume on PE2 (can't touch my shoulders on the last sets due to fattigue and lack of bicep strength).
On to the point, I am now doing 30 sec PE6 holds as part of my cool down and eventual preparation for the elelment. I hope by the point I reach the actual progression I won't have to spend half a year on it.
what muscles get fatigued first for you? for me its just that holding the grip is the only prob. next to the mental thing - thats really taff for me!
if you getting closer to mastery its getting more and more a mental thing. its really long time keeping up. try to distract from the time while watching around and counting things..;-)
it helped me to sligthly shifting weight from left to right...
the strongest part for me is the burning feeling around the upper ribcage and upper abs area. it burns like hell. of course my arms, forearms and lat are pumped like hell afterwards. but its only the ribcage which feels terrible after the second set of 60's...
saschali1979 said:if you getting closer to mastery its getting more and more a mental thing. its really long time keeping up. try to distract from the time while watching around and counting things..;-)
it helped me to sligthly shifting weight from left to right...
the strongest part for me is the burning feeling around the upper ribcage and upper abs area. it burns like hell. of course my arms, forearms and lat are pumped like hell afterwards. but its only the ribcage which feels terrible after the second set of 60's...
What i was doing yesterday was stretching my calfes while hanging around, because i have to after a long day and it diverts me from counting sec ![]()
Jon:
It is failure. I can assure you; ears ringing, body shaking, muscles cramping type failure. ![]()