New to GB!

Started by jkfox777, February 15, 2014 · 8 Replies · 2,376 Views

jkfox777
Hello everyone at GB! 

 

A little about me:

 

I'm 31, 5'10, 69" and 160 lbs. I currently serve in the Army at Camp Humphrey's juggling a class on a side. Setting my ego aside, I consider my self modestly in shape. I have little experience in tae kwon do, capoeira, and parkour. I have had no gymnastics training in my past. As of lately, I've been getting into calisthenics and weight training that facilitate the functionality of gymnast type of work outs. I want to buy or build my own parallel bars and rings. I have just purchased the F1. I hope to gain more knowledge and understanding of gymnast type of work outs and continue to pursue it throughout my life. I hope to learn, grow and exchange with others here on the forums and community.  Since I am getting older, I figure I take the plunge and immerse myself in this realm before it is too late.  I would love to visit a Seminar in the future!  

 

Just a thought I had earlier today:

 

I always wondered why the Army has not adopted gymnastic type of facitilites--and, probably because of myriad of reasons that I can come up with, safety issues, monetary values, lack of population and interest to the community, lack of instructors. However, the Army has implemented an Army Combatives program, Zumba, Spinning Classes, an Army Tae Kwon Do Team, Yoga, Plalates classes, and lastly cross fit etc. So I wonder--when will gymnastics be incepted? I digress completely.

I did type a long body of words but it unfortunately did not go through! Long story short, I hope to connect and grow with others on the forum. Thank you if you made it this far.

 

Sincerely,

 

Jimmy Lim

Camp Humphrey's, Korea 

Jon Douglas

I am a bit surprised that you don't have an army gymnastics team.

 

But welcome aboard anyway! Good luck with training and I hope you enjoy it :)

jkfox777

Good day Jon, and yes, I thought the same likewise on that matter!  Thank you for the warm welcome and wishes on my training.  :)

Bipocni

I'm pretty sure the army doesn't implement gymnastics style training because straight arm strength has an enormous potential for injury, and the typical jarhead mentality is to just push through the pain as hard and fast as they can. 

 

I can imagine if the army tried to teach their soldiers how to planche they would have to start a recruitment drive to replace everyone who signed up!

LateStarter@46

Welcome! Perhaps it'll be you starting up an Army gymnastics framework :-)

Daniel Burnham

The gymnastics style training minus the straight arm strength used to be the norm for military conditioning. There are still various handbooks floating around the web that have these exercises written in them.

I used to workout at a military base that still had metal parallel bars pull-up bars and stall bars at the facility though almost everyone used machines or free weights.

Jon Douglas

Well, i was more thinking that our forces have plenty of sports teams and given that it promotes exceptional str and conditioning gymnastics seems like an odd one to miss. Still, could be any number of reasons.

Joshua Slocum
Jon Douglas said:

Well, i was more thinking that our forces have plenty of sports teams and given that it promotes exceptional str and conditioning gymnastics seems like an odd one to miss. Still, could be any number of reasons.

I don't know about AU, but in the US the Army, Air Force and Navy all have gymnastics teams: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/gymnastics-men/nc

jkfox777

Wow, I was not tracking the teams  but thank you for shedding the light on this.  I just wish we had adult gymnastics here on post (Camp Humphrey's, Korea); although we do have a children's gymnastics.  I plan to contact the individual to see if he/she may offer adult gymnastics on post and what does it take to start one perhaps!