F1 H1 with other training?

Started by Collin, February 14, 2014 · 11 Replies · 2,786 Views

Collin

Hi, I am just about to begin F1, H1.

Should I discontinue all other strength training (weights) while doing this program?

Stength training with weights has been my year round 3 day a week foundation/maintenance although I also rock climb, mtn bike, ski, trail run, etc.

I am planning to do 4 days a week  of F1, H1 if that works with my body.

The program looks so minimal initially, that I am wondering if I am going to lose the strength I have built with weights before getting to a proficient level at gymnastic training?

Thanks for any information and clarity.

Joshua Slocum

The program should be adapted to your current level of strength. You should not start with the week 1 programming of PE1. You should begin by testing yourself for mastery of each of the initial elements; if you succeed you should test yourself for mastery of the next element on your next workout. Ideally you should be able to find a level of work where you are sufficiently challenged.

If your mobility is lacking, it may take some time before your mobility gets up to par with your strength.

Collin

Ah yes that makes sense to me. Thank you for your quick answer.

Ravn

I would drop all other strength training right away, if you're serious about F1H1 - you'll have to do that eventually anyway. By all means continue with your other sports.

Radek

What about H1+F with kettlebell training?

I'm going to add 20min kettlebell workout for conditioning this week. Mostly swings.

swhitley

You are the only person who can say if you can handle other activities with foundation/handstand training. Try it for a couple of weeks and experiment while listening to your body. You'll know very quickly if you are doing too much

kindred_fp
swhitley said:

You are the only person who can say if you can handle other activities with foundation/handstand training. Try it for a couple of weeks and experiment while listening to your body. You'll know very quickly if you are doing too much

I'm also in the same boat as original poster.  I'm contemplating if I do start Foundations if I should also drop my strength training program.  When you say listening to your body, what exact things do you look for?  soreness, sleepyness, lethargic.  

 

Thanks

kindred_fp
Ravn said:

I would drop all other strength training right away, if you're serious about F1H1 - you'll have to do that eventually anyway. By all means continue with your other sports.

Is it outside of the norm to do F1H1 and have a strength training program?

Joshua Slocum
kindred_fp said:

Is it outside of the norm to do F1H1 and have a strength training program?

It's both outside the norm and highly recommended against.

 

Why would you do two strength training programs at once? That would just slow down your progress in both. 

kindred_fp
Joshua Slocum said:

It's both outside the norm and highly recommended against.

 

Why would you do two strength training programs at once? That would just slow down your progress in both. 

Gotcha, I didn't think of it that way.  From reading the forums the foundation emphasizes a lot of upper body strength development.  Would this also impact if I focus on lower body strength program, like pick a couple of lifts I'm weak at.  Sorry for the silly questions.

Joshua Slocum
kindred_fp said:

Gotcha, I didn't think of it that way.  From reading the forums the foundation emphasizes a lot of upper body strength development.  Would this also impact if I focus on lower body strength program, like pick a couple of lifts I'm weak at.  Sorry for the silly questions.

If you're just looking to supplement the lower-body work, e.g. by adding in some squats and deadlifts, several other forum members have been doing that, and I think they've had some success. Additional upper-body strength work is not a good idea though. 

kindred_fp
Joshua Slocum said:

If you're just looking to supplement the lower-body work, e.g. by adding in some squats and deadlifts, several other forum members have been doing that, and I think they've had some success. Additional upper-body strength work is not a good idea though. 

Exactly maybe I might do something like this.  Thanks for the feedback.