This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dan's Log - Starting in F1

Started by DanL, February 13, 2014 · 43 Replies · 117 Views

DanL

Tuesday Apr 8th 2014

 

SL/PE1 (Arch Body Hold):  5x30s

iM (Standing Hip Circle):  10

MN/PE1 (Tuck-Up): 5x8

iM (Stiff Leg Windmill):  5

SLS/PE1 (Deck Squat):  8x8

iM (Skiers):  10

 

WRS 1-4:  10 each

WP/PE2 (Long Hollow Wrist Walk):  3x4

FKP/PE2 (Long Hollow First Knuckle Walk):  3x4

WR/PE2 (Long Hollow Wrist Rock Walk):  3x4

FTP/PE2 (Long Hollow Fingertip Walk):  3x4

HS/PE1 (Tripod):  3x48s

iM (Static Seated Shoulder Flexion w/ Weighted Bar):  10s

DanL

Wednesday April 9th 2014

 

30 minute walk w/ 22lbs weighted vest

 

 

Saturday April 12th 2014

 

Deadlift (no belt):  235lbs x 5

DanL

Monday April 14th 2014

 

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  4x24

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  4x24s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE2 (Push-Up):  4x12

iM (Xiaopeng Forward):  10

RC/PE1 (Hinge Row):  2x15, 1x10 (fail)

iM (One Arm Upright Lat Lean):  30s each side

 

Comments:  I was able to start in the second cycle for FL and SPL, and the third cycle for HBP.  However I was feeling wiped out by the time I got to the Hinge Rows, so those didn't go well at all.  I think I might try temporarily reordering the workout to do the Hinge Rows first since I'm having trouble with them anyway.

DanL

Tuesday April 15th 2014

 

SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  3x12

iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10

MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 4x6

iM (Jefferson Curl):  10

SLS/PE2 (Cossack Squat):  5x10

iM (Twisting Squat):  10

 

Comments:  Man my shoulders, triceps, and lats were sore from yesterday's workout.  Arch Body Rocks felt pretty tricky in terms of keeping proper form, so I just stuck with the 3x12 of the first cycle for now.  The strength portion of Straddle Ups seems fine, but I'm clearly lacking the mobility to keep my knees from bending at the top of the rep; I'll be doing some supplementary mobility work to get this shaped up.  The Cossack Squats didn't seem difficult, so I was able to test out of them for 5x10 mastery.  The Twisting Squats were the harder piece, although I was able to do those as well.  I've done a fair bit of back squats from previous weight training, so I think that's helping on these.

DanL

Thursday April 17th 2014

 

20 minute walk

 

RC/PE1 (Hinge Row):  5x15

iM (One Arm Upright Lat Lean):  30s each side

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  4x24

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  4x24s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE2 (Push-Up):  4x12

iM (Xiaopeng Forward):  10

 

Comments:  YES, passed mastery for Hinge Rows :D  Moving them to the beginning of the workout seemed to work, so I can check that off now and move on.  Everything else seems good.  The push-ups are pretty challenging, but doable.

DanL

Friday April 18th 2014

 

SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  3x12

iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10

MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 4x6

iM (Jefferson Curl):  10

SLS/PE3 (Side-to-Side Squat):  5x10

iM (Inside Squat):  5

 

Comments:  I still feel like I'm just trying to get the form right on Arch Body Rocks.  I video'ed myself, and I was bending my knees too much to create the rocking motion, so I'm trying to lock that down.  I did some hamstring stretching yesterday and this morning (PNF hammy stretch, frog stretch), and the Straddle Ups definitely were better than last time.  I could still use more work to get the legs extended further at the top though.  I moved on to Side-to-Side Squats and managed to master those as well, and the iM wasn't bad.  So I guess I'll move on again next week to SLS/PE4.

DanL

Monday April 21st 2014

 

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  4x36

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  4x36s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE2 (Push-Up):  4x15

iM (Xiaopeng Forward):  10

RC/PE2 (Incline Row):  5x3

iM (Bent Sideways Lat Stretch):  30s each side

 

Comments:  The Rocks are pretty grueling.  Planks aren't too bad yet.  I had to seriously fight for the last 3 reps of Push-ups, so next week is going to be sketchy.

DanL

Tuesday April 22nd 2014

 

SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  5x12

iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10

MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 3x5

iM (Jefferson Curl):  5

SLS/PE3 (Speed Skater Squat):  3x2

 

iM (Natural Leg Extension):  5

 

Comments:  The Arch Body Rocks were really challenging today for whatever reason.  Range of motion and keeping legs straighter on Straddle Ups was markedly improved.  The squats felt a little odd (my first time doing them), so I didn't try for mastery, although I suspect I could potentially get it.  Maybe I'll try for it on Friday.  I've temporarily dropped the handstand work.  I've been leaning out a bit while trying to progress these strength movements, which is a pretty challenging set of things to pair together, and I'm just feeling kind of cooked from the Foundation stuff by itself.  I'll pick Handstand back up later or mix it in some when it feels right.

DanL

Wednesday April 23rd 2014

 

40 minute walk

 

 

Thursday April 24th 2014

 

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  4x36

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  4x36s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE2 (Push-Up):  4x15

iM (Xiaopeng Forward):  10

RC/PE2 (Incline Row):  5x3

iM (Bent Sideways Lat Stretch):  30s each side

 

WRS 1-4:  10 each

WP/PE2 (Long Hollow Wrist Walk):  4x5

FKP/PE2 (Long Hollow First Knuckle Walk):  4x5

WR/PE2 (Long Hollow Wrist Rock Walk):  4x5

FTP/PE2 (Long Hollow Fingertip Walk):  4x5

HS/PE1 (Tripod):  4x60s

iM (Static Seated Shoulder Flexion w/ Weighted Bar):  10s

 

Comments:  My stomach is burned out by the end of the Hollow Body Rocks.  Same with my arms at the end of the Push-Ups.  I added the handstand work in today as I seemed to feel up to it.  It wasn't bad at all.

 

 

Friday April 25th 2014

 

20 minute walk

 

SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  5x12

iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10

MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 3x5

iM (Jefferson Curl):  5

SLS/PE3 (Speed Skater Squat):  5x5

iM (Natural Leg Extension):  5

 

Deadlift:  245lbs 1x5

 

Comments:  Form seems to be better on both Arch Body Rocks and Straddle Ups.  I should probably take a video next week to check it.  I mastered the squats; they weren't hard in terms of strength, I just had to focus on balance and proper form.

DanL

Monday April 28th 2014

 

20 minute walk (morning)

 

(evening):

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  5x36

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  5x36s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE2 (Push-Up):  5x15

iM (Xiaopeng Forward):  10

RC/PE2 (Incline Row):  3x6

iM (Bent Sideways Lat Stretch):  30s each side

 

Comments:  Got my push-up mastery, yay!  It was grueling though.  Everything else felt fine.  I pushed my workout to the late evening as my energy levels felt low during the day.  I could just tell in the morning that something was off.

DanL

Tuesday April 29th 2014

 

20 minute walk

 

Comments:  I got busy today and didn't make time to squeeze the workout in.  So it got pushed out to tomorrow.

 

 

Wednesday April 30th 2014

 

SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  3x24

iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10

MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 3x6

iM (Jefferson Curl):  5

SLS/SE1 (Hawaiian Squat):  3x2

iM (Shoulder Bridge Leg Curl):  5

 

Comments:  I video'ed myself on the first 2 exercises to spot check form.  Arch Body Rocks looked okay.  My knees are bending a bit too much, but overall the amount of arch and range of motion on the rocks looks sufficient.  Straddle Ups still need some work, although progress is being made.  My knees are staying straight and my legs are coming far enough apart, but I still need to try to get my legs to come up a bit higher off the ground.  Probably more hamstring flexibility work is needed.  Also I tried Hawaiian Squats for the first time.  These are definitely challenging my balance and range of motion, so I'll need to spend some time working through this progression.

 

Also I've lost about 3 more pounds of body weight over the past 3.5 weeks, so the leaning out process is going well (down to 156.5 lbs).  Some days my energy is a bit low, but overall I feel okay.  

DanL

Friday May 2nd 2014

 

WRS 1-4:  10 each

WP/PE2 (Long Hollow Wrist Walk):  5x5

FKP/PE2 (Long Hollow First Knuckle Walk):  5x5

WR/PE2 (Long Hollow Wrist Rock Walk):  5x5

FTP/PE2 (Long Hollow Fingertip Walk):  5x5

HS/PE1 (Tripod):  5x60s

iM (Static Seated Shoulder Flexion w/ Weighted Bar):  10s

 

Comments:  Passed mastery for this round of Handstand work.

 

 

Monday May 5th 2014 (Start of a deload week)

 

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  5x18

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  5x18s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE2 (Push-Up):  5x8

iM (Xiaopeng Forward):  10

RC/PE2 (Incline Row):  3x3

iM (Bent Sideways Lat Stretch):  30s each side

DanL

Tuesday May 6th 2014

 

30 minute walk w/ 22lbs weighted vest

 

 

Wednesday May 7th 2014

 

30 minute walk w/ 22lbs weighted vest

 

SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  3x12

iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10

MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 3x3

iM (Jefferson Curl):  5

SLS/SE1 (Hawaiian Squat):  3x1

iM (Shoulder Bridge Leg Curl):  5

 

Comments:  I think the limiting factor on Hawaiian Squats may be ankle flexibility, so I'll work on that some in the next week.  I'm down another 1.5lbs bodyweight over the past week, now 155lbs.

DanL

Friday May 9th 2014

 

Deadlift (no belt):  255lbs x 5

Standing Barbell Overhead Press:  95lbs x 2 x 5

 

 

Monday May 12th 2014

 

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  4x48

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  4x48s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE3 (Planche Push-Up):  3x2

iM (Xiaopeng Backward):  10

RC/PE2 (Incline Row):  4x6

iM (Bent Sideways Lat Stretch):  30s each side

DanL

Tuesday May 13th 2014

 

SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  4x24

iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10

MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 4x6

iM (Jefferson Curl):  5

SLS/SE1 (Hawaiian Squat):  5x5

iM (Shoulder Bridge Leg Curl):  5

 

WRS 1-4:  10 each

WP/PE3 (Kneeling Wrist Walk):  3x1

FKP/PE3 (Kneeling First Knuckle Walk):  3x1

WR/PE3 (Kneeling Wrist Rock Walk):  3x1

FTP/PE3 (Kneeling Fingertip Walk):  3x1

HS/PE2 (Headstand):  3x12s

iM (Static Standing Shoulder Extension w/ Weighted Bar):  10s

 

Comments:  Arch Body Rocks are still really grueling.  My hamstrings are really feeling those.  The Hawaiian Squats are still pretty tricky, but it's mostly a balance issue, not strength.  So to that end I went ahead and moved up to 5x5 for those, as I think the extra reps will help drill in the balance and coordination without taxing my strength reserves too much.  I'm going to continue to do 5x5 on them until I feel they are really solid before moving on.  They are actually feeling better with every set, so that is encouraging.  Did Headstands for the first time - fun stuff!

DanL

Thursday May 15th 2014

 

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  4x48

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  4x48s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE3 (Planche Push-Up):  3x2

iM (Xiaopeng Backward):  10

RC/PE2 (Incline Row):  4x6

iM (Bent Sideways Lat Stretch):  30s each side

 

WRS 1-4:  10 each

WP/PE3 (Kneeling Wrist Walk):  3x1

FKP/PE3 (Kneeling First Knuckle Walk):  3x1

WR/PE3 (Kneeling Wrist Rock Walk):  3x1

FTP/PE3 (Kneeling Fingertip Walk):  3x1

HS/PE2 (Headstand):  3x12s

iM (Static Standing Shoulder Extension w/ Weighted Bar):  10s

DanL

Friday May 16th 2014

 

Deadlift (no belt) - 235lbs x 1, 205 x 5 x 3

Incline DB Press - 25s x 3 x 12

 

 

Monday May 19th 2014

 

SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  4x36

iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10

MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 4x9

iM (Jefferson Curl):  5

 

40 minute walk

DanL

Wednesday May 21st 2014

 

FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  4x60

iM (Table):  30s

SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  4x60s

iM (Straddle Running Man):  10

HBP/PE3 (Planche Push-Up):  5x2

iM (Xiaopeng Backward):  10

RC/PE2 (Incline Row):  4x9

iM (Bent Sideways Lat Stretch):  30s each side

 

WRS 1-4:  10 each

WP/PE3 (Kneeling Wrist Walk):  5x1

FKP/PE3 (Kneeling First Knuckle Walk):  5x1

WR/PE3 (Kneeling Wrist Rock Walk):  5x1

FTP/PE3 (Kneeling Fingertip Walk):  5x1

HS/PE2 (Headstand):  5x12s

iM (Static Standing Shoulder Extension w/ Weighted Bar):  10s

DanL

Friday May 23rd 2014


 


SL/PE2 (Arch Body Rock):  4x36


iM (Standing Trunk Circle):  10


MN/PE2 (Straddle Up): 4x9


iM (Jefferson Curl):  5


SLS/SE1 (Hawaiian Squat):  5x5


iM (Shoulder Bridge Leg Curl):  5


 


Farmer Carries - 35lbs dumbells for 15-20 seconds duration, starting every other minute, 6 rounds


 


Comments:  Straddle Ups are going okay.  I'd still like better range of motion, but it does seem to be improving as I continue doing them.  Hawaiian Squats are good on the right leg, but I have some stabilization/balance issues with the left leg still (have to put my right foot on the ground to rebalance about every other set), so I will continue to do these through at least next week.  I have never done Farmer Carries before, but wanted to try them as a conditioning exercise, so I started pretty light; I'll work up the weight over time.


 


 


Tuesday May 27th 2014


 


FL/PE2 (Bent Hollow Body Rock):  60, 60, 40 (fail)


iM (Table):  30s


SPL/PE2 (Forearm Plank):  5x60s


iM (Straddle Running Man):  10


HBP/PE3 (Planche Push-Up):  3x4


iM (Xiaopeng Backward):  10


RC/PE2 (Incline Row):  5x9


iM (Bent Sideways Lat Stretch):  30s each side


 


Comments:  I realized on the Hollow Body Rocks that I'm letting my form slip.  I make it through the first set okay, then by half way through the second set I am not holding the hollow shape well anymore (flattening out), and to compensate, I end up rocking harder and slowly scooting across the floor.  This isn't acceptable, so I need to reset back a ways on the volume and nail down the proper technique.  I should have caught this earlier, but I see it now and will address it.  I was happy that I mastered the forearm plank today, and the other exercises seem to be progressing well.