Jayell's Routine- I NEED HELP/CRITIQUES!

Started by jayell, April 11, 2009 · 3 Replies · 3,739 Views

jayell

Hello all,

My name Is Jayell, and I'm new not only to Gymnastic Bodies, but gymnastics training as well. My goal is to create a beautiful physique for myself while also becoming stronger and more coordinated for rugby (and making a few of my teammates jealous that I am just as strong, if not stronger, than them by using little to no weights. LoL.). Here are my stats:

Age: 20

Ht.: 5'11''

Wt.: 165-170 lbs.

Somatotype: Ecto-Mesomorph (relatively a "Hardgainer")

And here is my basic program that I've developed using a few things from Coach Sommer's book:

Monday, Friday- Press

Headstand Work- 10 Mins.

Frog Stand- static hold for 1 min.

Pseudo-planche pushup- 3 sets/ 20 reps

Muscle up- 3 sets/ 6-10 reps

Tuesday- Pull

Front Lever- static hold for 1 min.

Back Lever- static hold for 1 min.

L-Seat pullups- 3 sets/ 5-10 reps

Rotation (FL to BL)- 3 sets/ 5-10 reps

Thursday- Legs

Rugby-based running drills (includes high-knee running, skipping, and scissor run. All done in 5 minutes.)

Rolling Pistol- 3 sets/ 10 reps (each leg)

Bodyweight Squat- 3 sets/ 15-20 reps (w/ 3-2-3 cadence)

Bodyweight split-jump squat 3 sets/ 15-20 reps (w/ 3-2-3 cadence)

My coach says that I need to develop a stronger chest, and develop leg power, especially in the hamstrings. Any suggestions?

For years I have feared weight lifting for strength and aesthetics due to the fact that I lost a friend to improper weightlifting. Also, the costs of weights and gyms are appalling. Any suggestions?

Thanks for checking out my post, and for your tips!

-Jayell

Richard Duelley

For hamstrings check out page 165 of the book, there is a whole section devoted to them. Natural leg curls are one of my favorite leg exercises besides the aw factor of single leg squat jumps.

Have a look through the programming section at the end of the book, reading through several times is a must in my opinion. I would focus your reading on the Basic Strength Training section page 175.

Usually, in gymnastics at least, you want to do a full body workout everyday and try to get in 3 to 4 days of training a week (5 or 6 if you are advanced and/or can handle the workload). You also want to try and focus on a different plane of motion each day. For example a Pull-Up and Curl are 2 different planes of motion.

jayell
niftyvt said:

Usually, in gymnastics at least, you want to do a full body workout everyday and try to get in 3 to 4 days of training a week (5 or 6 if you are advanced and/or can handle the workload). You also want to try and focus on a different plane of motion each day. For example a Pull-Up and Curl are 2 different planes of motion.

Ok so what should a BASIC, bare bones program look like? If I do a full body workout everyday, what are the planes of motion that I should be working per day? All I want to know is if my program is on the right track. Thanks for your reply!

Richard Duelley

Here is one of my basic strength workouts (its the actual sheet I take to the gym with me). I do basic strength at the end of my workout. So my workouts look something like this: warm up :arrow: handbalancing :arrow: ring strength :arrow: basic strength :arrow: warm down.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2246906970068627946yUgkyw

If you cant read it here is what it says:

Front Lever Pulls 3x4

Dips - XR Bulgarian 3x4

Side Lever Pulls - Negatives Halflay 3x3

Deck SLS - Jumping 3x3

Hip Extensions 1x10 F (Front) 1x10 R (Rear) 1x10 Circle

Press handstand work (I do this in the Handbalancing part of my workout)

Handstand wall walks 10 min (This are usually the very last thing I do)

So you want to work a different plane of motion each day. So for pulling: one day is pull ups the next is a curl variation, the next a row variation and the next could be a multiplane pulling movement. Do the same thing with core, pressing, and legs.

4 days of training a week, I have found, works best for me because I can get in the 3-4 different planes and/or a multiplane movement as well.