Joshua Naterman said:I personally agree with this statement. You're looking for a pulse of about 3g of rapidly absorbed leucine, and that's about what you get from 30g of high quality whey protein.
When I am using a slower protein, like solid food and a mixed meal around the PWO period (or a slow protein like casein), I just take a half teaspoon of L-leucine with it. Dissolved in liquid, it hits the gut first (before the solid components of a meal, just as whey protein will) and kick-starts protein synthesis. The amino acid release from the food will then sustain protein synthesis.
If you're REALLy trying to max out results, you can always try a single scoop of whey isolate or something like that right after the workout, but i would NOT do any more than that. You are seriously getting plenty, and it is doubtful as to whether the PWO whey will actually make a noticeable difference with your current diet.
This, of course, assuming that your protein is split into a number of 30-40g servings. If you have a giant meal with like 80g of protein, your effective protein intake will be 30-40g lower than it appears.
For details on this: http://foodandsport.com/uploads/3/0/2/0/3020192/benardot-energy_thermodynamics_revisited-j_exercise_science_and_health-2013.pdf
That was an interesting read, thanks for the link. It was new to me that an energy deficit is associated with higher body fat percentage. Kind off goes against the idea of fasting, I'd assume.