Foundation

Started by Alec O, February 12, 2014 · 4 Replies · 2,202 Views

Alec O

Hey everyone. I've been lurking this forum for quite a while, and I've always been interested in making the switch to gymnastics from bodybuilding since it seems a lot more practical to me. I'm a Canadian student therapist currently studying Massage Therapy, so I'm also looking to stay as physically in shape as possible. I am buying the program tomorrow, however I have a question. I don't know the terms so please forgive me, but does this program just emphasize on improving strength or does it also involve those movements where gymnasts sprint then do all these cool flips and then landing? Sorry again, just interested in what the program generally offers.

Thanks.

MT Nordic

Foundation builds exactly that, the foundation needed to do the other stuff you mention above.  There is a movement course coming out which may (or may not...) contain more dynamic and explosive training, though probably not inversions/flips, etc.  Those probably need personal coaching in person.  Foundation builds your strength and mobility to the point where you can safely do higher end stuff, though in itself it is a great workout and will seriously build muscle, trim fat, and make you exhausted.  The workouts are short, generally only taking 30-50 minutes, depending on which elements you are working on.  I and many others thought the F1 looked easy and were proved wrong! Some elements are easier than others and you will progress at your own pace.  I hope you enjoy it, and i'm quite sure you will from the sounds of it.  Cheers!

Alec O

Thanks a lot for the reply. So the Foundation series really focuses on training that builds strength, and no involving explosive movements and inversions/flips? That's good, knowing I can really do foundation 1-4 in my own setting, not requiring membership to a gymnastic gym. Also, do you do handstand one in conjunction with Foundation one (same day)?

Thanks again.

Jennifer
The GB Foundation Courses focus exclusively on the development of the seven GST fundamentals AND the necessary mobility requirements that go hand in hand with them; Front Lever, Straddle Planche, Side Lever, Manna, Single Leg Squat, Hollow Back Press and Rope Climb.

 

red1392

Coach has said none of the GB courses aim to teach Gymnastic skill (flips etc.), only strength. Foundation will build you from the ground up to a Front Lever, Straddle Planche, Side Lever, Manna, Single Leg Squat, Hollow Back Press and Rope Climb. It is often recommended around here that you also do H1/2 in conjunction as (proper) handstands and presses are somewhat of a cornerstone of Gymnastic training and you will need to be proficient in them in order to progress to higher levels of strength. The Handstand work is integrated into the Foundation programming - the workout planner will handle it for you. You don't need a whole lot of equipment for Foundation, you'll be working on just the floor, bar and rings for quite some time. You do need someplace to hang your legs off of (think reverse hyperextension kind of setup - I just use a coffee table...) and some light weights for mobility work. Eventually you will need Stall bars for mobility work and the more 'advanced' Side Lever elements.