This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/P1 - I should have this, but I don't. Programing question

Started by Blair Norwood, February 7, 2014 · 43 Replies · 2,285 Views

RF_Guy

Done!!!! I has been awhile since exercise made me feel so happy!

Bipocni

That was fast....

Blair Norwood

Congratulations RF_Guy.

 

I just managed 5x15 however the last three reps were not at the same pace as the rest, I'm going to hit it again this week and if I hit mastery I'm going to do another week aiming for 5x15, but this time placing the rows after HBP PE2. With any luck I can manage 5x15 then too for both RC and HPB PEs, then I'll be heading into a deload week. If I hit mastery later this week I could call it good, but I'd rather get some more volume on this one and head into a deload week

Roddy Cardona Valderrama

i have the exact same issue my forearms are on fire near the end and the integrated mobility makes it worse, no complaining though just giving my experience.  Looking forward to mastering this progression

Vinay Ramineni
Bipocni said:

Blair:  You might also be struggling with this because you might be performing the iM incorrectly.  It's supposed to be performed one arm at a time, not both.

 

OH MY GOD. Have I been missing out on an additional 30s of break because I was doing this two arms at a time. Okay, this changes things somewhat O.O Hopefully my horrible "15, 15, 15, 15, anywhere from 8-15" plateau can now start moving!

Blair Norwood

I managed to get 5x15 :)

 

Will still get some more volume in on them (a week or two) before I take a deload and more to the next element.

William Stevens

Is the RC/PE1 IM supposed to be performed by one arm for 30s or one arm for 15s and the other arm for 15s?  If one arm for 30s, then is a different arm used after each hinge row set or back-to-back between each hinge row set for a total of 60s between each hinge row set?  

 

I've actually been doing these with both arms, because I seem to remember that the one arm distinction was not made until the website was recently upgraded.  After reading this thread, I noticed folks saying that the single arm is easier, so I look forward to doing them with one arm from now on.

dasede
William Stevens said:

Is the RC/PE1 IM supposed to be performed by one arm for 30s or one arm for 15s and the other arm for 15s?  If one arm for 30s, then is a different arm used after each hinge row set or back-to-back between each hinge row set for a total of 60s between each hinge row set?  

 

I've actually been doing these with both arms, because I seem to remember that the one arm distinction was not made until the website was recently upgraded.  After reading this thread, I noticed folks saying that the single arm is easier, so I look forward to doing them with one arm from now on.

30 seconds with both arms after every PE set. That is 60 seconds total after every set.

Bipocni
William Stevens said:

.....I noticed folks saying that the single arm is easier.....

I don't know that it's easier.  You can fry your grip and your lats at first until you get used to it.

 

I switch arms at the start of every mobility set.

IcedDante
Bipocni said:

 

Bipocni said:

You're almost strong enough to get mastery.  The weak link is your brachioradialis.  This muscle provides enormous protective benefits to your elbow during straight arm work, and is generally weak in otherwise strong weight trained individuals.

 

Where did you come by this goodly information Bipocni?

Bipocni
IcedDante said:

Where did you come by this goodly information Bipocni?

This forum mostly.  I remember Coach mentioning the brachioradialis a while back. 

 

Think about it though, it's pretty much the only muscle that crosses over the elbow.  There's a small one on the other side as well, that I don't know the name of, but it's not as big or as significant.

 

As for why it's weak, well, how many strength trained individuals do you know who can even name the brachioradialis?

 

As for why I know it's the weak link during the hinge rows, well, that's anecdotal.  But I fried the hell out of mine the first time I tried them...

James Hall
Bipocni said:

Think about it though, it's pretty much the only muscle that crosses over the elbow. There's a small one on the other side as well, that I don't know the name of, but it's not as big or as significant.

>:\ What about biceps, brachialis, triceps and anconeus?

Ravn
James Hall said:

>:\ What about biceps, brachialis, triceps and anconeus?

I LOL'ed.

Bipocni
James Hall said:

>:\ What about biceps, brachialis, triceps and anconeus?

Ah, anconeus.  That would be the small one on the other side I didn't know the name of.

 

But you can only really consider the triceps to cross over the elbow if you consider the anconeus to be part of the triceps, so you're a little bit misleading there...

 

I'll admit the tendons from the biceps cross over the elbow, but you can't really compare that to the brachioradialis, where the main chunk of the muscle itself is crossing over.

 

Look, my knowledge of anatomy isn't perfect.  If you guys really want, you can pick holes in everything I'm saying.  I'm not going to try too hard to defend myself here, because then I'll be forced to say things I don't really understand, and then I'm going to look like an idiot.

 

But just because under close scrutiny I fold worse than [insert poker metaphor here] doesn't mean that my initial statement was incorrect.  I'm pretty sure Coach himself agrees with me, so I couldn't have been too far off the mark.

 

I'm all for scientific rigour.  I'm all for exposing my own weaknesses so I can turn them into strengths.  By all means, if I'm ever incorrect about anything, feel free to let me know guys.  But try not to undermine me.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm here to help.  I'd appreciate being treated the same.

 

Wow, okay, that was starting to sound pretty touchy there.  I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to get back to training....

William Stevens

dasede,

 

You stated that the IM is 30s for each arm for a total of 60s.  1 minute "rest" seems a long time between the RC/PE1.  The directions for other IM's split the time between both legs or arms, so that is why I question that we should hold each arm 30s for a total of 60s between each PE.  It seems to me that we lose the intensity of the PE with such a long break.  Does anyone else have a thought regarding this?  I'm not wanting to overly analyze this IM, but thought I'd bring it up.

 

Sorry for the delayed response, but I haven't had a chance to get back to the computer to post a response.  Thanks for your comment!

Bipocni
William Stevens said:

It seems to me that we lose the intensity of the PE with such a long break.  Does anyone else have a thought regarding this?

You're overthinking this.  It's 30s each side.  Trust me.

William Stevens

Thanks for the reply!

Blair Norwood

Hey guys it’s been a while since I updated my progress with this, I've have a busy few weeks and a wrist injury so I haven't been able to get my workout in as I'd like, I did manage to get married though so not all bad.

 

I was able to hit the 5x15 with good timing to call it mastery twice and have decided to move on, and managed to hit mastery today on PE2 so it’s all onward and upward.

 

I'm now really glad I found this so hard, it’s given me an appreciation for the planning of the program, and that I need to set my ego aside.

 

Push ups have suffered with the wrist injury, but I'm planning on doing sets of 15-20 throughout the day in order to get more volume on the movement.

Bipocni
Blair Norwood said:

Hey guys it’s been a while since I updated my progress with this, I've have a busy few weeks and a wrist injury so I haven't been able to get my workout in as I'd like, I did manage to get married though so not all bad.

Lol at the priorities there.  I'm imagining that conversation:

 

"What have you been up to lately?"

"Well, I hurt my wrist, can't really workout...."

"Oh that sucks.  Anything else?"

"Well, I got married.  But seriously this wrist is killing me!"