This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE9 form check

Started by EDM, February 2, 2014 · 38 Replies · 1,303 Views

EDM

Hi all,

As promised I'm starting to post few videos for feedback... This is the first one:

I'm not sure about the position/ inclination of the legs.

Thanks for you comments!

Joakim Anderson

Looks nice. A detail: you could point your toes. :)

MT Nordic

Great! Ready to get 5x5 and move on to pull up grip IMO.

LateStarter@46

Very nice, you made it look so easy!

Murray Truelove

Nice! form looks good.

EDM

Thanks for the comments & advices. Will move to the next element starting from next week!

LateStarter@46

Since EDM has moved on, I'm owning this thread for now  :P

 

I don't have an L-sit at all and when I do this L chin up, my straight legs are about 30 degrees below horizontal. Should I 

a. add in training for the L-sit now, or

b. add in training for the L-hang, or

c. both of the above, or

d. something else?

 

Thank you.

Jon Douglas

B. (although a or c couldn't hurt because Lsit helps just about everything)

Work sets of low reps with the closest to a 90 degree L hang you have, stretch it hard + use l hang holds / 1/2 leg raises with a static as supplemental. Maintain your pullup str with a straight set or two, knowing you str won't be the issue.

Are you able to L hang with straight arms OR at the top hold? How are your leg raises, especially V to L?

Cole Dano

Where are you in the MN progression?

LateStarter@46

@Cole: Errr umm just at MN PE2  :blush:

 

@Jon: Thanks for the tip.

I can L hang (legs at -30deg) at the straight arm dead hang bottom position and also the top position.

I can L hang on stall bars for a few secs with legs perfectly horizontal (as I can brace against the lower bars)

I haven't reached any PEs involving leg raises yet (apart from MN PE2).

Cole Dano
LateStarter@46 said:

@Cole: Errr umm just at MN PE2  :blush:

 

There's your answer, and I'm going to make a wild guess that mobility in either the PE or iM is what's holding you back?

LateStarter@46

*weep sob bawl

 

Thanks Cole. ROM in MN PE2 is not good right now. Going to be doing intensive work on this and L sits now.

EDM

I've moved forward but still interested in this!

I agree with Jon, you should train L hang and get to a point where you can keep the position with limited effort, otherwise would be difficult to focus on the overall form/movement. I believe the hardest part is the beginning of the pull if you start down from the max ROM: it is really hard to initiate the movement from that position, but after that dead point the rest is easy. Have you experienced the same?

By the way, started L pull up, much harder! :\

Jon, Cole,

Just a question: is the mobility of MN 2 and 3 related to the L sit?

I think I have a decent L sit ( can hold 3x30 sec ), but I'm not very happy yet with straddle up and V up... so maybe my L sit is not as good as I think (or the MN 2 & 3 not as bad...) ?

thanks!

bye

EDM

Moving on  on this progression (and going off topic!), this is how I'm doing with PE10:

 

 

 

 

I believe the form is still OK, but still need some work to get to 5x5 (I'm almost at 4x4).

 

The big problem here is initiating the pull from the max negative ROM (you will see when I fail the last rep).

 

Is it correct to completely extend the arms when you go down, then "close" the shoulders/scapulae and pull?

 

MT Nordic

You're right with me on this one. I'm close to mastery and should have it in the next week. You're correct in the full rom. That is the key to this movement. It is really focusing on that scapular strength to initiate the movement. Just picture scapular depression to start the movement, pull those shoulders down and then start the pull. You're form looks good though. You won't be too long before you're moving on.

EDM

Glad to hear I'm doing right, cannot wait for monday to try again!

thanks for the hints!

Gillham

My main problem is initiating the pull at the bottom as well in the l chin.  Any other exercises that help with that?  It's like my shoulders have a hard time staying externally rotated once i straighten my arms fully.

EDM

Provided that you can do normal strict chin-up and pull-ups with this correct ROM (without bending the legs), achieved mastery in PE8 and can hold the L-hang easily, it should be just a matter of strength (normally you should be able to do at least one or two).

 

I the past I used to train with weights and to do chin-up with +20 kg 4x4/5 reps, maybe this helped to develop the required strength to start.

 

However, once you are able to do some reps of L chin up, I would just practice this one. When I started I was not able to complete a 4x3 (was like 3-3-3(badly)-2), but in a short time I improved.

EDM

Today I fianlly master ed PE10 ^_^

Spent some times struggling to get to 4x5 without success; then on the last workout felt very tired and could only do 3-3-3-2!! Realized I needed more rest and took few days break. This morning tried again after a weekend spent watching movies on bed and eating carbs.... First set was 5 reps, looked quite hard, but from the second something happened: felt lighter and able to pull with incredible strenght, hitting fast chest to the bar, deacend not extra slow but controlled.

On the last rep of last 2 sets could not hit chest to bar but only chin over the bar...overall still very good sets I think.

Somethimes just more recovery solves all your problems.....

Jon Douglas
EDM said:

Today I fianlly master ed PE10 ^_^

Spent some times struggling to get to 4x5 without success; then on the last workout felt very tired and could only do 3-3-3-2!! Realized I needed more rest and took few days break. This morning tried again after a weekend spent watching movies on bed and eating carbs.... First set was 5 reps, looked quite hard, but from the second something happened: felt lighter and able to pull with incredible strenght, hitting fast chest to the bar, deacend not extra slow but controlled.

On the last rep of last 2 sets could not hit chest to bar but only chin over the bar...overall still very good sets I think.

Somethimes just more recovery solves all your problems.....

Well done :)

EDM

Just moved on... PE11 is actually harder than expected, which make me think thant PE12 is gonna be a real challenge.

Conversely PE 13 and 14 are quite easy at this point!

LateStarter@46

Oy, this is a RC PE9 thread, not PE11!  :P

Good to hear that you are steaming ahead - makes me want to catch up  :)

 

I've been on PE9 a while, getting the Lsit bit higher and higher - hopefully another week will do it. I had a go at PE10 and it was very strange with lots of popping and cracking going on in the back. I could just about manage 1 rep - and I could do 3 'pull ups' before F1. ...probably weren't pull-ups in the first place!

ausswe

Still stuck on RC-pe6 -.- damit this mini cycle I'm pushing hard for mastery of this... I want to get I to those pull ups! I know I'll fly through f2 with this...

EDM

Yeah, PE6 was the hardest so far! I think I passed it only by convincing myself that it was a matter of life or death, like hanging ont hat bar to avoid falling in a pool of burning lava....

LateStarter@46

...it was a shark-infested sea for me...