Recently purchaced H1 and couldn't be any happier. I really don't want to start off on a wrong path so I'd like some critique and advice.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by meras, February 1, 2014 · 9 Replies · 254 Views
Recently purchaced H1 and couldn't be any happier. I really don't want to start off on a wrong path so I'd like some critique and advice.
Great music choice.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I think for HS/PE2iM you'll want to get the arms a bit higher up and straighten your upper back. This may require a lighter weight and/or wider grip.
Agree with the wheeze. I would widen grip/lower weight as much as needed for a shoulder height pull...also I would recommend standing as I'm not sure if that could make a difference in muscle recruitment, but that's how it is in the demo (realize you might just be kneeling for camera angle
). As far as the first iM looks pretty good, just focus on eliminating the slight curve in your mid/upper back and you should be good. Hard to tell about the elbows/arms as they are out of frame.
You're also a bit tilted forward in the head stand. Try and get to the tipping point where you feel your weight almost shift backwards (this might take some practice, do this in a safe place and get ready to roll out!) then correct slightly. In that position, push up a straight as you can, while trying to balance on that edge between moving forwards and falling backwards.
It's hard to tell on PE1/iM, are your arms are rotating in the socket as you pull back? If you are, you don't want to do that. You also want to keep your back flatter, tuck your ribs (pull them down towards your waist) as you pull your arms back.
wheezer said:Great music choice.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong... I think for HS/PE2iM you'll want to get the arms a bit higher up and straighten your upper back. This may require a lighter weight and/or wider grip.
4 more weeks and I hope to have my arms up to shoulder length
One question, my upper traps have doms from the iM, should this be expected?
TANSTAAFL said:(realize you might just be kneeling for camera angle
). As far as the first iM looks pretty good, just focus on eliminating the slight curve in your mid/upper back and you should be good. Hard to tell about the elbows/arms as they are out of frame.
Indeed, I was kneeling because of the camera. And thanks for the link, some good tips there. I do lock out my elbows while doing the iM, however my arms ar a little weird, when I lock them out they don't look straight at all.
thecolin said:You're also a bit tilted forward in the head stand. Try and get to the tipping point where you feel your weight almost shift backwards (this might take some practice, do this in a safe place and get ready to roll out!) then correct slightly. In that position, push up a straight as you can, while trying to balance on that edge between moving forwards and falling backwards.
It's hard to tell on PE1/iM, are your arms are rotating in the socket as you pull back? If you are, you don't want to do that. You also want to keep your back flatter, tuck your ribs (pull them down towards your waist) as you pull your arms back.
I'm uploading a new headstand video where I try to eliminate the tilt. To me it looks like the athlete performing HS/PE2 also has a slight tilt (or it may be the angle). For iM1 I try not to dislocate my arms pull them back, sort of like a bridge.
HS/PE2:
HS/PE2>iM:
thecolin said:You're also a bit tilted forward in the head stand. Try and get to the tipping point where you feel your weight almost shift backwards (this might take some practice, do this in a safe place and get ready to roll out!) then correct slightly. In that position, push up a straight as you can, while trying to balance on that edge between moving forwards and falling backwards.
I must say there is a serious lean in demo video just to put that out there. I feel like a lean might be acceptable here as I believe this PE is still working on the upside down factor more than body alignment. I still do PPT and hollow, and I alternate between a slight lean and straight, but a slight lean definitely helps keep the weight distributed equally on arms and head. With a straight line the weight is significantly moved on the neck in my experience.
I incorporate a slight lean as that fires my shoulders up considerably more and seems harder. Emulates the bottom part of a head stand push up better as well.
IMO you're rushing a bit on iM2. It is cleary noticeable that your grip is too narrow for your current level of strenght/mobility, and even that you try it by bending a little bit the upper back and tilting the head fordward. Increase the width and with time you'll progress to shoulder width.
Adriano Flo said:IMO you're rushing a bit on iM2. It is cleary noticeable that your grip is too narrow for your current level of strenght/mobility, and even that you try it by bending a little bit the upper back and tilting the head fordward. Increase the width and with time you'll progress to shoulder width.
I was too focused on trying to replicate what I saw on the course. I'll try using a wider grip on my next workout. Thanks!
I still need some clarification. What is the mastery standard for this specific element? The course page says to be able to do it with full range of motion. I realize that full range of motion means to lift the bar to shoulder level but does it also mean gripping the bar shoulder width?
TANSTAAFL said:I must say there is a serious lean in demo video just to put that out there. I feel like a lean might be acceptable here as I believe this PE is still working on the upside down factor more than body alignment.
These days I'm more inclined to have a discussion about what I feel is optimum, as opposed to copying every detail of the videos. I think rigorously recreating the videos to the smallest detail sends some people down the wrong path. If I say something stupid, I'm confident that Coach or a more experience athlete will come along and correct me.
You're probably correct that a straighter position loads the head more. If your neck feels bad afterwards, it's probably better to avoid it. Otherwise I think this is an ideal and controlled position to start feeling the balance point of a handstand.
The OP look like he had a nice straight body, and he was keeping his hands very close to his head, so he was already loading his neck significantly. If he's comfortable in that position, it seems reasonable to suggest that he straightens out and starts to work on balance.