This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tempo in the way of progress

Started by Riku Calderón, January 31, 2014 · 12 Replies · 388 Views

Riku Calderón

Hi there!

I know that the FAQ sais this:

Do I need to emulate the tempo in every exercise?

Yes and no. As long as you are displaying control, exercising full range-of-motion and not relying on momentum at any point, you may complete reps at a comfortable pace for you. For elements requiring 5x5 for mastery, a pause at the top of each rep may be used to kill your momentum and ensure complete control.

So my question is. What do you do? I have done everything in really slow pace still. Shoud I do as fast as I can without momentum? I think the TUT is the one in my way now in RC and HBP

Ronin168

i feel the same way as you.  i use the same timing as the athletes in the videos.

 

i also feel like a lot of people are not using the same tempo as demonstrated in f1 and h1, which is why they are finishing the workouts so fast.

 

and i feel that the better i get at the wrist exercises in h1, the harder f1 will be.  we'll end up doing 100 super slow push ups before we start the hbp, which is going to suck. (well, actually pe4's are more tiring than se4's, but i think you get my point)

 

hbp pe1 definitely sucks, although i'm going lower than the athlete in the video, since i don't have a platform at 30 degrees, but the tempo is killing me.  that's the only pe where i've been failing

 

rc could possibly be really challenging to me, but since everyone uses the rings station at my gym later during practice times, i tweak the program by doing rc first, before fl, so that makes rc easier, but makes all the other exercises in the program harder

Adriano Augusto

I think the FAQ is clear about that. Yes and no. 

 

The tempo using by athetes in the courses are for demonstration pourposes, not to copy them the same way. And again, the FAQ are clear about it.

Bipocni

You don't need to slow your tempo down by loads (although by all means, go ahead, you'll get more out of the exercise) the point is to perform them with control.

 

As long as you're killing your momentum after each rep, and you're not just dropping with no resistance on the eccentric, I would say don't worry about tempo.

Riku Calderón

Ok. I think I change my way. Thanks. Progress here I come!

Ronin168

wow, i really needed this info also.  great question, riku.  it looks like i'm gonna smash through hbp now.

Ronin168

so i'm assuming that the only exception to the rule about "going as fast as you want as long as you don't use momentum rule" would be in the FL progressions where the hollow body rocks should take the same or about the same amount of time as the hollow body hold, right?

Bipocni
Ronin168 said:

so i'm assuming that the only exception to the rule about "going as fast as you want as long as you don't use momentum rule" would be in the FL progressions where the hollow body rocks should take the same or about the same amount of time as the hollow body hold, right?

Well, I find the tempo sort of sets itself, as you need to maintain a solid hollow the whole time.  Those rocks tend to generate their own momentum.

Ronin168

ok, yeah, i guess that sounded like a really stupid question, but i was coming from the standpoint that hypothetically you could do a 60 second hollow body hold in PE5 and 60 hollow body rocks in 30 seconds in PE6. 

 

but yeah bipocni, i think you're right, the tempo will set itself.

Jon Douglas
Ronin168 said:

 60 hollow body rocks in 30 seconds in PE6. 

Heh, that would be funny to see :) anyone?

ausswe

That would be pretty dam impressive to see....

Jure Rakuljic
Bipocni said:

You don't need to slow your tempo down by loads (although by all means, go ahead, you'll get more out of the exercise) the point is to perform them with control.

 

As long as you're killing your momentum after each rep, and you're not just dropping with no resistance on the eccentric, I would say don't worry about tempo.

So true. Do exercies with control and u got it.