Things I don't seem to get right...

Started by Albert Camps, April 3, 2009 · 5 Replies · 4,420 Views

Albert Camps

Sorry, but there are some things that I don't get. I've been reading "The Gymnastic Body" and maybe my english is not good enough or something happens to my brain, but I need some help.

Am I supposed to do everyday a full body work routine? Work on every movement every day or do the same(dips, pull-ups...) but in different dificulties variations? If I want to get a movement or static hold (like planche) I should go for it everyday I workout?

I mean, I know I can do whatever I want, but as I don't have much time, I want the best way to progress.

Right now I was thinking to do Push-ups, Handstands, Pull-Ups, Dips and other upper body work on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and legs and core on tuesday, thursday and saturday. Every day the same. I don't know if this would be too much, but as a matter of fact I can just workout for 30 - 45 minutes everyday at most.

And as I progress to more difficult variations... should I keep doing the previous variation to warm-up/whatever or just go on with the new??

I'm planning for a steady cicle with embedded static work previous to my pulling-pressing exercises as recommended in the book.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I want to prepare my workout as best as I can. Any suggestions/recomendations, will be gratefully accepted.

Thank you!!

ps.I would love to get planche push-ups in a year or so...

Richard Duelley

Try and do a whole body workout everyday and each workout day change up the plane of motion for each movement family. Also, when you do your workout pair up the pressing and pulling together and then pair up the legs and core. So you would do a set of 3 to 5 of your pulling movement then wait 30 seconds or so and then do your pressing movement, wait a 1 minute or so and repeat until all 3 'giant sets' (both pulling and pressing sets together make one giant set) are done, then move on to the core and legs pairing. So for example your first training day could look something like:

Pushups - XR rings Bulgarian Elevated

Rows - XR Bulgarian

V-Up - Tuck

Deck Squats - Jumping

The above example doesnt have the static holds, just embed them per your original plan.

If you click on the link in my signature for my training log I have links in that log to my Steady State Cycle layouts. I am currently on my 3rd cycle and all three are posted.

I warm up with easier variations (like push ups, regular dips and handstands) and light stretching/jumping rope you just to make sure your 'warm up' is not a 'mini workout.' :mrgreen:

Good luck and have fun!

Albert Camps

But if I'm just training for strength, your example wouldn't take very long, about 15 - 30 minutes, and I would like to go for a bit more. I know I say I don't have much time, but I have a bit more :D .

THanks for your reply :)

Richard Duelley

If you want to fill up extra time you can try and add in handstand holds for time or handstand wall walks or even press handstand work.

Since one of your goals is a planche and then eventually a full planche push up here are some links for movements to help your shoulder girdle development.

Fastest Way to Build Handstand Pushups

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=203

Handstand Wall Runs (I give this one most of the credit for helping me progress in my press handstands)

Just working press handstands/headstands is another great way to fill up extra time, or just try balancing on your head without your hands! :mrgreen:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1392

And for fun Explosive Pushup Variations

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=187

And dont forget your prehabilitation/flexibility/mobility movements like:

Bridge Wall Walks

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=160

and Wall Extensions

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1191

Albert Camps

Oh, that was awesome! THanks a lot!! :shock: :D

So I should pack things like this?

Jumping rope warm-up; Elasticity-Joint prehab.

Static HOLDx10 (maxtime/2)seconds - PUSH exercise 3x(3 to 5) // resting 20-30 secs between sets?

Static HOLDx10 (maxtime/2)seconds - PRESS exercise 3x(3 to 5)

Static HOLDx10 (maxtime/2)seconds - LEGS exercise3x(3 to 5)

Static HOLDx10 (maxtime/2)seconds - CORE exercise 3x(3 to 5)

HeadStand, HandStand training.

And everyday do a different PUSH, PRESS, LEGS, CORE exercises? Like Hanging leg lifts on monday and obliques on tuesday?

Or I could pack a few exercises of the same kind everyday and train like that?

Or better

Static HOLD x10 (maxtime/2)seconds - Static HOLDx10 (maxtime/2)seconds - (PUSH - PRESS) - (PUSH - PRESS) - (PUSH - PRESS)

And then with CORE and LEGS?

Thanks for your time!!

Richard Duelley
albert.c said:
Oh, that was awesome! THanks a lot!! :shock: :D

Or better

Static HOLD x10 (maxtime/2)seconds - Static HOLDx10 (maxtime/2)seconds - (PUSH - PRESS) - (PUSH - PRESS) - (PUSH - PRESS)

And then with CORE and LEGS?

Thanks for your time!!

The above is like what I usually do. I warm up :arrow: handbalancing :arrow: ring work :arrow: basic strength (ie what you posed above) :arrow: warm down. If I have time I put in more handstand stuff before my warm down, like handstand wall walks/static holds for time and Ag walks. My warm down usually includes the wall extensions, stick dislocates and other joint work besides just stretching out.