This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to Correct Asymmetric Handstand

Started by azey47, January 30, 2014 · 1 Replies · 107 Views

azey47

Hi Guys,


 


I'm following up on a previous post in the Digital Coaching Forum (https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/8377-correcting-asymmetric-handstand/?hl=%2Basymmetric+%2Bhandstand).


 


I've been following Handstand 1 for several months now, and am currently on PE3. It seems that my handstand symmetry has regressed (which is a result of a functional scoliosis). Here a couple videos that show the issue:


 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q664iVFnPh4


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm9wrtTOt0A


 


 


 


It looks as though my left shoulder shrugs more, and my right lower back muscles are tight and pull the right hip higher. The problem is definitely less pronounce when I'm facing the camera (there is a mirror right behind it), but my sense of symmetry/balance without the mirror is atrocious.


 


I'm going to try to fix it by practicing dumbbell holds in front of the mirror, aggressively stretching the right side of my lower back muscles (that cause the uneven hip height), and doing PE3 while focusing on shrugging my right shoulder more and keeping the hips level.


 


I'm wondering if anyone has any additional tips on how to fix this problem (aside from attending Coach's Seminar, which I will do as soon as I can afford it!)? I can't afford to see a PT right now, so it's got to be a solution I can implement myself.


 


Thanks so much guys. I'd really like to take care of this properly, since I'm afraid of further ingraining bad alignment.


 


Andrew


 


P.S. Coach, if you could spare a few moments to comment on your experience working with functional scoliosis in developing the handstand I would truly appreciate it!


azey47

This seems pretty promising as a systematic approach to correcting the issue:

 

 

I'll do this daily and followup here to let you know how it works...