This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

hollow body holds. Arms up or down?

Started by Mark Collins, January 27, 2014 · 39 Replies · 1,078 Views

Mark Collins

I am about to start HBH and noticed in the instructions it is ok to have the arms by the side even though the athlete demonstrating has the arms up.

Is it better to master HBH and HBR with arms overhead so future exercises are easier or does it not have that much carryover.

Christian

Arms overhead. This was a debate a while back ago and it came to the conclusion that mastery = arms up. I had of course mastered HBH and HBR with arms down and was into F2 when this came up. I am close now again to mastering HBH with arms up. It's really much much harder.

 

On the positive side of that is I tested yesterday (for fun) FL/PE10, which I could hardly do one rep of before. (I was at week 5 on PE9 when I switched back) And found that I could almost do mastery of them now. So by the time HBR are mastered with arms overhead F2 should feels at least half way done already.

Mark Collins

Thanks Christian.

LateStarter@46

Yes, thanks for that Christian - you are a useful person to have about the forums  :)

I've gone back to doing HBH & HBR with arms now up - definitely much much harder! 

Jon Douglas

I find HBR with arms up much easier to get a smooth roll-- hold a dowel to intensify this effect

Cole Dano

Is the arms up 100% confirmed by Coach Sommer? Coach told me last year in Helsinki that it didn't matter for moving forward, but overhead was something to work towards.

Cole Dano

Coach Sommer just confirmed arms overhead is the correct standard and the text in the course will be changed to reflect this.

 

God have mercy on our souls. ;)

LateStarter@46

Nnnnnggggggh!

 

I hate reversing my progress stats.

 

 

...but I love the challenge!  :)

Michael Taylor

Did anybody really think that asking Coach would result in the easier option......?

LateStarter@46

Heh heh, lets not mention the straddle versions....

Daniel Burnham

In this case working arms by side is a great way to micro load. I had to do this when I remastered (3rd time) this hold.

Micawberian

I must admit, arms up I find is easier than arms by the hips. It facilitates the form better for me, stops the neck from craning forward and letting the body crunch together rather than lift up. Maybe I am just a weirdo...a fluke...an abomination!

Ravn

HBR: Hellishly Brutal Rocks

I'm still convinced 5x60 is a typo :P

Joshua Slocum
Ravn said:

HBR: Hellishly Brutal Rocks

I'm still convinced 5x60 is a typo :P

Of course. It was supposed to be 6x66  :icon_twisted:

Ravn

Lol!

Cory Fair

Pshhh, you all already have the watered down version of the original draft. Entire progressions were removed/made easier or cut in half for mastery :D

Joshua Slocum
Cory Fair said:

Pshhh, you all already have the watered down version of the original draft. Entire progressions were removed/made easier or cut in half for mastery :D

It'd be cool if there were some way to to see the original draft (and any other major intermediate stages) - maybe sort of 'The Making of Foundation' piece. 

Jennifer

Yes!  Put it in the thread re: podcast requests....

Joshua Slocum said:

It'd be cool if there were some way to to see the original draft (and any other major intermediate stages) - maybe sort of 'The Making of Foundation' piece. 

emilianop

I had the same problem, mastered with arms down, then had to redo it with arms up.... and it's drastically different!

Even if I can do 5x60", I'm still struggling to keep good form for all 5 sets with arms up, meaning I'm still rebooting the last microcycle since forever.

 

 

In the meantime, yesterday I stumbled upon THIS:

http://imgur.com/xIkNGRU

 

Haven't tried yet, but looks evil...

 

Mark Collins

I would hate to go back to HBR. Thanks to those who have paved the way!

LateStarter@46

Yes, thanks a lot Mark!  :icon_twisted:

 

:)

Christian

Text in focus points have been updated. It's official!

Ravn

5x60 rocks today, with 45 seconds rest between sets - And hands over head. Getting closer and actually not too horrible!

Christian

60 reps 45 sec, iM, 45 sec, 60 reps style? Or one 45 sec rest before or after iM?