This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sl/PE 1 Form Check

Started by Alhumbraer, January 26, 2014 · 7 Replies · 259 Views

Alhumbraer

Sorry I titled the other post incorrectly and starting this one.

 

How is my form ?

 

Christian

Probably the best ever posted here.

~Atticus

Christian's praise, while legit, there are a few things that you might want to consider.

 

1. Try to keep your toes pointed at all times. You did it for a few stretches, but then you would relax them for a bit. 

 

2. Try to keep your head looking up at all times (stretching your neck so-to-speak). Again, this happened for bits of time, but maybe you were distracted by adjusting the support on the rack a few times, I don't know.

 

What I thought you did right:

 

1. I could tell that you tried to activate your glutes as the primary engine of lifting your legs, and not your lower back. Keep it up.

 

** Continue to ensure that you legs are completely straight, with no break in the knees **

 

All in all, a great display of posterior strength and flexibility.

Alhumbraer

Yes I can only do 5 sets of ~51 seconds and obviously the whole set is not flawless yet. But I think I should have mastery in 4-6 weeks hopefully. Its hard to believe that it took almost 1 year of SL/PE 1 to achieve mastery... but its getting to the result that matters, not how long it takes. F1 has taught me loads about patience !  :D

-MR

Like I mentioned in your previous thread, you're demonstrating what to me looks like great thoracic and hip extension; congrats! As far as I know, you're the first person who's been struggling with this PE for this long that has come this far (or at least you're the only person I know of that has documented it).

 

I'm curious as to how your ABH looked when you first started. Did you have similar mobility but little endurance, or did you make substantial gains in your mobility as well as your endurance. Pics of your initial attempts would be great if you have any. Finally, can you tell us what strategy you used to improve to this point? 

 

Congrats again on the great results. 

 

M

wheezer

Awesome, awesome extension! If I could hold that 5x60s I would consider myself ready to rock. photo.jpg

 

Plus I love how you use the rack platform and weight plates to mark height.

 

I feel like I'm about to nitpick a bit...

 

The only flaw I can see is the arms placement. Ideally, you want the bicep to lightly brush the ears. This will mean getting your arms higher and also closer together. Both adjustments will add intensity to your shoulder girdle. This is a slight disadvantage to height-marking your arms. Your thorax archs more to compensate for the relative lack of shoulder girdle mobility, so the arms can clear the height without keeping up with your ears. If you, instead, set a platform at eye level so you look above it to know your head is high enough, and then use the arms-brushing-your-ears cue to know your shoulder girdle is keeping up with your head - that would be the ultimate.

 

But, you could probably spend the next five years making improvements. If you can rock, you can rock.

Alhumbraer
wheezer said:

Awesome, awesome extension! If I could hold that 5x60s I would consider myself ready to rock. photo.jpg

 

Plus I love how you use the rack platform and weight plates to mark height.

 

I feel like I'm about to nitpick a bit...

 

The only flaw I can see is the arms placement. Ideally, you want the bicep to lightly brush the ears. This will mean getting your arms higher and also closer together. Both adjustments will add intensity to your shoulder girdle. This is a slight disadvantage to height-marking your arms. Your thorax archs more to compensate for the relative lack of shoulder girdle mobility, so the arms can clear the height without keeping up with your ears. If you, instead, set a platform at eye level so you look above it to know your head is high enough, and then use the arms-brushing-your-ears cue to know your shoulder girdle is keeping up with your head - that would be the ultimate.

 

But, you could probably spend the next five years making improvements. If you can rock, you can rock.

Good suggestions- thanks. I looked in the demonstration video and the athletes arms do not look much if any closer to his head than mine do. I actually was keeping arms closer to head, but when I dissected the demonstration I went wider.

 

I don't have a video from when I first began, but I do from 3 months ago 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/13788-check-my-slpe-1-please/

 

My arch body hold was very bad at the beginning and I dread training it... the better I get the less I suffer, but I do suffer. It is a good thing you can't see my face because I am in serious discomfort for majority of the time ( not pain, just burning and muscular fatigue)

Bent hallow body rock is coming in at a close second to Arch body hold.

 

My strategy was F1 5 days a week ( for faster neural adaptation)... thankfully I can handle that kind of frequency. I stretch pec minor and anterior chain muscles a bit as warm up. Only recently did I start warming up the actual movement with some regressions, for most of the time I did not have a clue what easier movement I could perform to warm up for Arch body and I would jump right into it. The shifting of the perspective I had to exercise and progress has been huge, if mastery of entire F1 takes me two years so be it. My goal is to progress through F4 and have attained proficiency in most of these movements by the time I am 34-35 ( I am 29 now). 5 years is a short  amount of time if you step back and look at the big picture.

wheezer
Alhumbraer said:

I looked in the demonstration video and the athletes arms do not look much if any closer to his head than mine do.

 

Good point! I can often get so caught up in text and theory that I lose track of the original video.  :facepalm:

 

Your goal is very attainable assuming nothing goes wrong. You lay so much groundwork in just the first half of F1 alone.