Planche lean (hollow and protraction)

Started by Chrono, January 24, 2014 · 23 Replies · 10,894 Views

Chrono

First of i want to say hello my friends , I'm new here :)

I read so many threats of scapula movement here , and the sticky thread of Dillon on planche lean too ! (I saw the pictures of hollow +protraction )

I currently know that when i lean , i need to focus on full protraction of the scaps , and hollow ( and the

depression comes natural  i think).

My questions are:

1.I find that i cant hollow in the lean itself , without bit protraction of the scapula, is it true?

2.I also find that if I'm focusing on full protraction , the hollow comes automaticly

 

Thank you guys (English level 0)

Bipocni

Yeah the hollow will happen pretty naturally.

 

The depression, not so much.  I find when I really think about depression, I activate all those nifty little muscles that wrap around the ribcage.  Huge difference.

Cody

Depression of the scaps comes from your lats. Really squeeze your lats and your shoulders will move down. You'll also feel more power.

Chrono
Cody said:

Depression of the scaps comes from your lats. Really squeeze your lats and your shoulders will move down. You'll also feel more power.

I thought that that the depression will take my shoulders backwards not down?

isnt the protraction takes it down and the depression  backwards?

rafal
Chrono said:

I thought that that the depression will take my shoulders backwards not down?

isnt the protraction takes it down and the depression  backwards?

As far as I know when speaking about the movement of scapula we rather use terms "relative to the body" (regardless body position)

Coach Sommer

In simplistic terms, retraction is squeezing the scapula together and protraction is pullling them apart.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Chrono

So my conclusion is that when you're in the floor and starting the lean , you cant hollow without protraction and protraction  without hollow :)

assuming you are with elbow locked 

Bipocni
Chrono said:

I thought that that the depression will take my shoulders backwards not down?

isnt the protraction takes it down and the depression  backwards?

Not quite.  Protraction moves them forwards while depression moves them down, towards your hips.  There's also elevation, which moves them up towards your ears.

 

 

Chrono said:

So my conclusion is that when you're in the floor and starting the lean , you cant hollow without protraction and protraction  without hollow :)

Again, not quite.  It's possible to completely separate scapula movement from the movement of the thoracic spine.  So you can protract without hollowing, if you really want to, but there wouldn't be much point in it.

Chrono
Bipocni said:

Not quite.  Protraction moves them forwards while depression moves them down, towards your hips.  There's also elevation, which moves them up towards your ears.

 

 

Again, not quite.  It's possible to completely separate scapula movement from the movement of the thoracic spine.  So you can protract without hollowing, if you really want to, but there wouldn't be much point in it.

I think I got your point!

Is this true shoulder directions? http://sizmedia.com/my.php?i=mqnmzjymg3zi.png

Adriano Augusto

Check this out.

 

 

And that drawing has the scapula retracted and sunk it. 

Chrono
Adriano Flo said:

Check this out.

 

 

And that drawing has the scapula retracted and sunk it. 

Yeah but I just asked about the directions this photo is no mine

Adriano Augusto

I know that's not yours, it's from Overcoming Gravity, I just kidding :D The directions are ok.

 

In a planche lean, the movements are these.

 

 

First one is extremely retracted; second is extremely rounded; third is what you aim for.

rafal
Chrono
Adriano Flo said:

I know that's not yours, it's from Overcoming Gravity, I just kidding :D The directions are ok.

 

In a planche lean, the movements are these.

 

 

First one is extremely retracted; second is extremely rounded; third is what you aim for.

 

 

 

What made it so rounded?the pike ?

Adriano Augusto

I did explain myself incorrectly. These aren't the movements of a planche lean, they're the most common mistakes when a beginner iniciates planche lean training.

 

First two are the wrongs; last is he right.  

 

I didn't understand your question Chrono, but... What made it so rounded is the incorrect sense of "create hollow". It's too much hollow. Sorry If I didn't understand well.

Chrono
Adriano Flo said:

I did explain myself incorrectly. These aren't the movements of a planche lean, they're the most common mistakes when a beginner iniciates planche lean training.

 

First two are the wrongs; last is he right.  

 

I didn't understand your question Chrono, but... What made it so rounded is the incorrect sense of "create hollow". It's too much hollow. Sorry If I didn't understand well.

 

 

Thats fine , sometimes i struggle to desribe things due to my pure english XD

so i think i'll upload planche lean video for form check?

ajoOba

this is a picture of coach sommer teaching the planche lean andfor me this looks very rounded https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/564543_518891934801178_1663984432_n.jpg

 

also dillon zrike's picture is very well rounded and he says the more hollow the better:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/gallery/image/156-correct-planche-lean/

 

so i still dont get it what a planche lean should look like... i would say full round and the more hollow the better which means full protraction and depression

Chrono

I don't realy think hollow is protraction and depression..

Micawberian

I think you are overanalyzing this movement. Perhaps if you show us a video of your lean people can correct it and refine it.

Bipocni
Chrono said:

I don't realy think hollow is protraction and depression..

It's not.  The hollow and the scapula movement are two different things.

 

 

ajoOba said:

this is a picture of coach sommer teaching the planche lean andfor me this looks very rounded https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/564543_518891934801178_1663984432_n.jpg

I would say the form in this picture is acceptable because the lumbar spine is straight and the hips aren't piked.  Personally, this isn't how I do my protraction, but it is coached this way and performed this way by people much stronger than me, so what do I know?  :P

Chrono
Bipocni said:

It's not.  The hollow and the scapula movement are two different things.

 

 

I would say the form in this picture is acceptable because the lumbar spine is straight and the hips aren't piked.  Personally, this isn't how I do my protraction, but it is coached this way and performed this way by people much stronger than me, so what do I know?  :P

 

 

:) So I got the idea of protraction and depression of the scapula.. 

but can you explain what is hollow on lean? like what should I do to engage the hollow ?

Hollow maybe means -lumbar spine is straight  but how I get that?

Thank you :)

LateStarter@46

By PPT (posterior pelvic tilt).

Bipocni
Chrono said:

:) So I got the idea of protraction and depression of the scapula.. 

but can you explain what is hollow on lean? like what should I do to engage the hollow ?

Hollow maybe means -lumbar spine is straight  but how I get that?

Thank you :)

This is basically hollow.  It's a specific type of body position in gymnastics.

 

This is not hollow, because the lower back has lost contact with the ground.  This much piking at the hips is also unnecessary.

 

The way I look at it now, hollow is basically a function of posterior pelvic tilt, with a slight leg raise in order to increase activation.  Side note: If you hold this hollow position during a set of pullups, you wont swing.

 

They way you see hollows portrayed in F1 with the extremely arched upper back is because we use them as a primary strength development tool, and this rounding of the upper back increases abdominal activation.  I mean, crunches are basically just rounding of the upper back, right?

 

Hollows are a bodyline exercise.  You can find others outlined here. 

Chrono
Bipocni said:

This is basically hollow.  It's a specific type of body position in gymnastics.

 

This is not hollow, because the lower back has lost contact with the ground.  This much piking at the hips is also unnecessary.

 

The way I look at it now, hollow is basically a function of posterior pelvic tilt, with a slight leg raise in order to increase activation.  Side note: If you hold this hollow position during a set of pullups, you wont swing.

 

They way you see hollows portrayed in F1 with the extremely arched upper back is because we use them as a primary strength development tool, and this rounding of the upper back increases abdominal activation.  I mean, crunches are basically just rounding of the upper back, right?

 

Hollows are a bodyline exercise.  You can find others outlined here. 

Realy helpfull pictures , thanks

In the sticky thread the hollow described as:" trying to touch the shoulders together in front of you "..

I just wounder how i get it when im the pushup position , and trying to hollow..should i press the lower back ?pike? 

edit:

  I looked a bit at picrutes of  pelvic tilt,  and I think I got it