This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

S1 Pre-requisite for F1? Stretching...

Started by edna, January 23, 2014 · 31 Replies · 1,993 Views

Salivanth

Coach also said M1 would be released by now, so I don't think we can take anything for granted unfortunately :( I have to agree with Auswee on this.

Murray Truelove

You guys know you can still stretch in the meantime?

Do limbering work every day and 1 or 2 intense stretch sessions a week. There's loads of free videos on YouTube.

StrongZombie

So, aside from working on the areas i need to, is it a good idea to start working on pancake/split stretching? That and bridge work to open the shoulders?

Murray Truelove

Stretching is a very personal thing, diagnosing and tackling dysfunction requires a lot of personal time.

I find it best to daily limbering or gentle stretching and then work on your troublesome spots once or twice a week.

Foundation covers bridge work but working towards the pancake is a good idea, the tailor pose is a good place to start.

Iguanus

I totally agree with you, Murray.

My problem is the complete lack of structure. For instance, I'd never guess my piriformis was in the way of my forward bend. So I don't know what I don't know (unknown unknow). I don't have a structure to serve as a guide for what to do or not to do.

Murray Truelove
Iguanus said:

I totally agree with you, Murray.

My problem is the complete lack of structure. For instance, I'd never guess my piriformis was in the way of my forward bend. So I don't know what I don't know (unknown unknow). I don't have a structure to serve as a guide for what to do or not to do.

This is my experience as well, I just didn't know how to get started so I spent time "researching", I wish I had taken the advice "just start stretching".

The more you learn, the more you can incorporate, there's nothing stopping you from changing things up as you go but if you never start you won't even make slow progress.

Start stretching now.

Keilani Gutierrez

it does take some time to learn, but i kind of have a list of "go to" stretches for different planes and will usually cycle through a 3 exercise/stretches to do in a series on F1A days(upper body/T-spine,chest, lats, rhomboids, wrists) and F1B days(lower body/lower back, piriformis, hamstrings, calves, hip flexors) instead of doing them in q contractile way(when i do C-R, i use the contractions to relax and also create some stability in the end ranges with those contractions) but my main goal is learning how to relax certain muscle groups that are a bit tight at the moment. there has been great improvement learning how to tell which muscles are tight on me and just do three-four stretches in different muscles after i do my workout that day for consecutive sets of 3-4minutes instead of doing them in giant sets for less time.

shoulder flexion, shoulder extension, all the positions of the scapula, rotation in trunk, extension and flexion of the trunk, lumbar flexion and extension, hip flexion and extension, knee flexion and extension, ankle flexion and extension. find progressions that relate to your specific situation, dont go hard on a stretch that you will get yourself hurt doing. do them a few times a week and really learn to do the stretches honestly.

cheers

 

edit: also,  i noticed that my shoulder mobility got a tad better when i stretch my neck, so stretch your neck as well :)