Am I too old and broken ?

Started by Damon, January 22, 2014 · 14 Replies · 4,020 Views

Damon

I’m 55 years old with bulging discs in my lower back (L4,L5,S1) and rehabbing from rotator cuff surgery 4 months ago (bicep tendon and labrum tear).  Have not worked out for a year and a half since my injuries. Heard Coach Sommers on a Robb Wolf podcast today and liked what he had to say about mobility and muscle unbalances.

I have no gymnastics experience but I felt pretty fit. When I worked out at a Crossfit gym about 2 year ago, I was able to do (3x25) single leg squats, (3x15) handstand pushups against a wall, (12) dead hang pullups, (5x7) muscle ups crossfit style.

I’m hoping to get my strength back with better mobility and not hurt myself.

Is this the right program for me?

Damon 

Nautique163

Your never too old ... It sounds like your already better than me and some people here ! Just look up fritz MB he is a member on here I think he is around 72

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/user/1283-fritsmb/

That gives you 17 years to catch up to him !

And gives me 31 and I hope to be passing f4 by then

Mats Trane
nomad said:

 

I’m hoping to get my strength back with better mobility and not hurt myself.

Is this the right program for me?

Damon 

It is definetly for everyone. My wife (46 years) ha not worked out for 20 years and had great success with F1. I was just so happy she got into training again (realy needed it). 

Start right from the beginning and have PATIENCE. As you heard in the pod cast this program is not about shortterm success its about building up your building up your body from the ground step by step. If you have the patience and work hard you will have great long term success,

thecolin

Too old for the Olympics? Yes. Too old to get stronger and more flexible than you are right now? No.

 

If you like the idea of Crossfit, but you got injured due to poor programing, I'd say this is absolutely the program for you.

Bipocni

Does this answer your question?

Damon

Thanks everyone for the input I bought the GB starter pack. Looking over the workouts and the weekly scheduling I'm sure I'll have questions later.

Damon

Bipocni
nomad said:

Thanks everyone for the input I bought the GB starter pack. Looking over the workouts and the weekly scheduling I'm sure I'll have questions later.

Damon

Make sure you read it twice!  Most of your questions will be answered in the course material.  But don't hesitate to ask!

Dzosh

I'm 43, but have had bad back issues with multiple herniated discs, an arthritic knee, and a not so good shoulder. I just finished my second week. I have some reservations about the single leg squat progressions, and the amount of spinal flexion, but so far so good. I can certainly say I've not seen anything else that addresses mobility in such a systematic way.

Albert Woody

i also heard the podcast today and was wondering if height (6 ' 2" 235 lbs) AND age (51)  would be a factor? i also just lift, sprint and run 5k and no way can i do what the original person posting can do. thanks

Jennifer

Albert, neither of those factors would be an issue for you to start Foundation or Handstand.   There are other older beginners doing the courses and many people starting from zero. 

Bipocni

Height will be a factor.  We work with disadvantaged leverage here, and the taller you are the longer the lever arm is.

 

Being tall doesn't mean you can't accomplish things like planche, human flag ect...  It just means that you'll be even stronger than the shorter guy when you get there.

 

Don't worry, Foundation starts you from the very beginning.  You should be able to make progress just as fast as anyone else.

Joshua Slocum
Albert Woody said:

i also heard the podcast today and was wondering if height (6 ' 2" 235 lbs) AND age (51)  would be a factor? i also just lift, sprint and run 5k and no way can i do what the original person posting can do. thanks

Some things will be more difficult for you than for a shorter or younger person. Can you achieve all the final movements in Foundation? I don't know, to be honest. But I do know that following the progressions as far as you can will make you significantly stronger, give you healthier joints, build great body awareness, and improve your flexibility. 

The Hansenator
Joshua Slocum said:

Some things will be more difficult for you than for a shorter or younger person. Can you achieve all the final movements in Foundation? I don't know, to be honest. But I do know that following the progressions as far as you can will make you significantly stronger, give you healthier joints, build great body awareness, and improve your flexibility. 

That's the approach I'm taking. I don't know if I'll ever "finish" the Foundation program but I do know I'm getting stronger by trying.

Mats Trane
Albert Woody said:

i also heard the podcast today and was wondering if height (6 ' 2" 235 lbs) AND age (51)  would be a factor? i also just lift, sprint and run 5k and no way can i do what the original person posting can do. thanks

I just turned 50 and have been following this forum since 2008 and have just loved it! I'm not as tall as you but hight is not an issue. I mean, we are not going to the Olympics. There are a couple of guys that are your hight here on the forum. You will get an absolut excellent alround strenght and flexibility. Following Foundation will also minimise the risk of i jury. The atmosphere and friendlyness is also a great advantage.