This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain with PE1>im

Started by Dzosh, January 21, 2014 · 13 Replies · 239 Views

Dzosh

I have just started (second week) and I notice I get a dull pain and a feeling of a mechanical block medial to my left shoulder, above my clavicle when I do this exercise. I do not get this sensation on the right.

 

My left should has been a problem for years, and I have spent about a year doing 10 daily dislocates with an unweighted PVC pipe and YTWL's (though really have not made any progress, hence the change in program--still pretty wide on the dislocates)

 

Aside from the standard "get it checked out", anyone have similar feeling or any thoughts?

Keilani Gutierrez

I had a few issues with iM1 when I first started, it helps to visualize this in steps.

 

let me find the thread that I posted and i'll get back at ya ~

john_c

I have have had a long term problem with my right shoulder which was aggravated by dips and press ups. I found it very difficult to do dislocates except very wide. My left arm/ hand is my dominant one so so it was always more mobile.

Now without being particularly aware of why it has happened my shoulder has got a lot better through doing F1 and H1 since August 2013, there is some great shoulder  mobility exercises in both F1 and H1 and and I am still pretty much on the first step in everything.

Its only in the last few weeks that my progress has seemed to accelerate. I think in my case it's been a case of getting more mobile and also actively trying to improve my posture, keeping a straight back and avoiding sloppy form.

Bipocni
KeilaniG said:

I had a few issues with iM1 when I first started, it helps to visualize this in steps.

 

let me find the thread that I posted and i'll get back at ya ~

The basics are just press upwards with your shoulders before you go backwards, push forward with your chest to close the hips and keep your shoulders in neutral position.

trw

When I first encountered some pain with this iM it was due to attempting too narrow a grip too soon. Have you tried wider hand placement? Second time I felt pain I realized I wasn't shrugging intensely enough, in other words, not properly engaging my traps. How's your form?

Dzosh

I'll play around with it next time it comes up and see. Don't want to aggravate anything by doing more too soon. I had been thinking of it as more of a pull with the scapulas rather than a push with traps. Doubt (even wide) I can get near my head with trap only technique (same problem in SL/PE1--I can do pretty well with arms to the side, and great with arms back, but once overhead...forget it)

Keilani Gutierrez
Bipocni said:

The basics are just press upwards with your shoulders before you go backwards, push forward with your chest to close the hips and keep your shoulders in neutral position.

and retract while at maximum elevation. ;)
Radek
KeilaniG said:

and retract while at maximum elevation. ;)

Very helpful tip, thanks.

Dzosh

Thanks man, but that is completely different to what I am experiencing. As above, it is like a dull pain, and like I'm hitting a block, medial to the whole shoulder itself, between the shoulder and neck, above the collarbone. Though when I press, I am a bit tender over the delt and the AC joint, that's not where I feel it while doing the movement. In fact, it gets worse when I activate the traps at the top.

 

There is a ton of great info on this forum, but it's a little hard to find. Reminds me of xda-developers.

Coach Sommer

Welcome to the real world of high level coaching.  There are no cookie cutter answers pertinent to all situations and often times a combination of research and creative thought are required to solve an issue.

Keilani Gutierrez
Dzosh said:

Thanks man, but that is completely different to what I am experiencing. As above, it is like a dull pain, and like I'm hitting a block, medial to the whole shoulder itself, between the shoulder and neck, above the collarbone. Though when I press, I am a bit tender over the delt and the AC joint, that's not where I feel it while doing the movement. In fact, it gets worse when I activate the traps at the top.

 

There is a ton of great info on this forum, but it's a little hard to find. Reminds me of xda-developers.

I hear ya....I've felt that sensation as well.  ;)

 

my pain/discomfort wasn't really the focus of providing the link, it was reading Josh's words on doing the iM. 

 

hope you find closure on this issue 

Dzosh

Thanks coach!

Research I can handle. Creative thought...(if I'm doing the thinking)  it's a fine line between clever and stupid.

Keilani Gutierrez
Dzosh said:

Thanks coach!

Research I can handle. Creative thought...(if I'm doing the thinking)  it's a fine line between clever and stupid.

you'd be surprised what you might discover if you do these experiments of yours for a week or so(food for thought)