Coach Sommer on Robb Wolf

Started by Jennifer, January 21, 2014 · 44 Replies · 12,043 Views

ausswe

I. Going to get the rings course when it's out as a reminder of what this can build to as well as out of curiosity but I think you are right with movement coming out this year the plate is going to be pretty full. I guess I'll just see what the volume looks like and how I'm handling it once I've completed f2. May add r1 then or may not.

I have to admit the hardest part of all this is being patient but I understand the need for that patience and how much it will be worth the wait.

LateStarter@46

I hope to purchase R1 when it comes out because I believe in utilising mental imagery to rehearse the move.

So by the time I start on R1, I am in a sense pre-trained.

Bro'

I'm definitely buying R1 because I'm too curious, but I plan on waiting. There's no way the added volume wouldn't slow progress on the F series. We're going to need to master F3, H1, H2 and (obviously) R1 before being able to move on to R2 so that's a lot to do!

Christian

I gave my girlfriend a ring. Only seems fair she gets me rings 1....

wheezer

dsohei: every mention of injury came with an explanation of what not to do.

You don't need a personal coach to make sure you halve your reps every fourth week. You also have video to check your form, with direct access to highly experienced gymnasts giving you feedback (check out the "form check" threads as a model for what to do yourself). The risk of injury is only high when you do not build the strength and connective tissue required for the exercise you are doing - which won't happen as long as you do the course in the order it is presented. If you want to do other activities, make them secondary and use your foundation performance to make sure the secondary exercises aren't getting in the way. If you're not sure about something, start a thread and ask questions.

Argue enough for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours.

If all this is not enough for you, shell out the cash and get a coach.

No need to complain.

Adriano Augusto

Since it's out, I listened the interview two times now. And tonight I dreamed that I was going to a seminar with Coach. What a freak I am.

 

To a spanish listener is difficult to understand all the language and some details, but I clearly get the  deep message from this. Having heard Coach's voice and his arguments and explanations made me feel that I'm on the right path and I've to put the time to practice, to build the FOUNDATION to all the things that will come later, because that's the real process, that's the real meaning of excellence.

 

This interview really boosted me in so many ways that I can varely explain something in english.

 

Really grateful to be a part of this family.

 

Looking forward to be in July at the London seminar. 

 

Cheers!

 

P.S: A really great quote from the interview (I hope is well written):

 

"People decide on their own level of success. If they're serious they're gonna find a way to make it happen, they're gonna find the time, the intensity, the resources. If they're not serious then there's no amount of hand holding in the world that's gonna make it happen"

Cole Dano
Christian said:

I gave my girlfriend a ring. Only seems fair she gets me rings 1....

 

congratulations?

Christian
Cole Dano said:

congratulations?

Yes :-) Thank you.

LateStarter@46

For those of us who need a transcript, and those worrying about 15 or 16, Chris at Robb Wolf says that one will be up for this podcast probably by the weekend. A link will appear next to the podcast's download link.

 

More paperwork for the gym session  :)

Mats Trane
Christian said:

Yes :-) Thank you.

Congtrats Christian!

Coach Sommer
ausswe said:

... it makes me think maybe r1 is a lot tougher than I thought ...

 

You may find it interesting to note that all of the London GBS students struggled with the very first of the BARS progressions.  All of them.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

dsohei

What does one have to master before starting the movement series?

Bro'
Coach Sommer said:

You may find it interesting to note that all of the London GBS students struggled with the very first of the BARS progressions.  All of them.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Now I really want to know what's in there!

 

dsohei said:

What does one have to master before starting the movement series?

 

Nothing.

ausswe

Not sure whether to be terrified of the rings courses or excited now :P

Jon Douglas
ausswe said:

Not sure whether to be terrified of the rings courses or excited now :P

Yes :D

jone

I thoroughly enjoyed this convo. Kinda wished Robb didn't talk so much. Lol

Mark Collins

Great interview. It reminds me of the Seminar.

Riku Calderón

This was golden.

 

My training goes well. Im gonna be 30 soon. And for the first time with this curriculum I'm eager to know how amazing I am at 35.

HumanBIOS

At about 15 minutes in, I misunderstood the part where Coach was breaking down the way he programs elements e.g the Barbell press.

 

he said "lets make it easy, their max is gona be 36 pounds, 106, so we got a 36 pound window"

I understand that he divided 36 into 12 to get a 3 pound increment increase every week for 3 months, but how did he get the 106 and 36??


 

Jennifer

He was speaking hypothetically.  If a person's max  was 100 pounds he would drop them to 70 lbs and work to the higher weight over a period of time.  To make the numbers work easier he said 36 instead of 30 since 36 is an easy multiple of 12. 

 

This is what I understood.