Coach Sommer on Robb Wolf

Started by Jennifer, January 21, 2014 · 44 Replies · 12,043 Views

Jennifer

Episode 213

Joakim Anderson

A lot of interesting stuff in there, over an hour long too. Thanks.

TANSTAAFL

Good reason to finally get back on the Wolfcast.

Jennifer

If you haven't listened in a while, I also enjoyed episode 206 with Dave Werner.

TANSTAAFL said:

Good reason to finally get back on the Wolfcast.

Mats Trane

Thanks, that was great!

Ravn

Thanks for the heads up, as someone who hasn't (yet) been to a seminar, that was a great interview.

Cole Dano
Ravn said:

Thanks for the heads up, as someone who hasn't (yet) been to a seminar, that was a great interview.

 

Absolutely a great interview, and Ravn you're right, it's a small taste of being in a seminar.

 

Folks need to listen to this! 

Mats Trane
Ravn said:

Thanks for the heads up, as someone who hasn't (yet) been to a seminar, that was a great interview.

Listening to that was almost like being at a seminar. That was great!

swhitley

Anyone else pick up (or did I hear wrong) that Coach said when released, GB will be 16 courses? 15 are mentioned in the roadmap post.

Jennifer

I did hear that. 

 

It must be a hidden level that you can only access after mastering all of the 15 roadmap levels. :lol:

lnick1975

Great job coach!

I Really enjoyed it.

It makes me realize how much I really need to get to a seminar.

Joshua Slocum
swhitley said:

Anyone else pick up (or did I hear wrong) that Coach said when released, GB will be 16 courses? 15 are mentioned in the roadmap post.

It's a super-secret course that gives you progressions for the CTI. To get access you need to complete all 15 courses and then defeat one of coach's athletes in a muscle-up contest. 

mark

Really great podcast.  Lot's of info to share with others about why F1 is so valuable.

dsohei

I don't know why exactly but this podcast has made the training more impossible. The way he makes it out that it's so easy to injure yourself if not closely monitored, and if doing other fitness activities outside the basic curriculum. Jeez. What to do to actually consistently train and improve for the 4-6 years it takes.....

Keilani Gutierrez
dsohei said:

I don't know why exactly but this podcast has made the training more impossible. The way he makes it out that it's so easy to injure yourself if not closely monitored, and if doing other fitness activities outside the basic curriculum. Jeez. What to do to actually consistently train and improve for the 4-6 years it takes.....

you would be surprised about how "hard" you can go if you have a road map giving you what to do, how to do it effectively, when to do it and for how long to invest in it before you move onto the next one. 

 

I say this because I recently came out of a 2-3yr BMX sabatical, the second I got back on my bike, i could still power out 540's to fakie out of a flyout, 540 hurricanes and footjam whips needed a little more dialing it but it wasn't like i never learned them. I've been riding for almost 10yrs and the past 10-15 sessions i've had have been smoother in some aspects, not so smooth(like my airs out of quarter pipes) and even learned new tricks! (like 360 ET's in a recent game of BIKE we were playing.)

 

don't lose motivation, more information will give you a better picture of where you are and the road to get to where you want to go! 

 

hopefully, you weren't as unlucky as me and went and got hurt, you might have soft tissue restrictions that can be worked on through movement, the mobility work, foam rolling or other therapy before tackling the strength + mobility work itself! working through that barrier is what will bring you out the other side, so if you need help, post in the forum or consult with a professional why your body is not working the way it's supposed to be working. 

 

Coach would not have released this course if he wasn't absolutely sure that most of the demographic that bought it, would be able to finish it. the other's(like myself) need to invest a bit more time in mobility or pre-existing injury/pathology before really blossoming. 

 

edit: and going to a seminar wouldn't hurt your development either! that's why they're there! 

SoyeBoy

Great interview, didn't even care that I was squeezed into a tram on the commute home while listening to it!

Nautique163
Mats Trane said:

Listening to that was almost like being at a seminar. That was great!

but with out all the hard work 

Coach Sommer
dsohei said:

I don't know why exactly but this podcast has made the training more impossible. The way he makes it out that it's so easy to injure yourself if not closely monitored, and if doing other fitness activities outside the basic curriculum. Jeez. What to do to actually consistently train and improve for the 4-6 years it takes.....

 

You completely misunderstood the point of my comments.  

 

For the vast majority of people, it is indeed impossible for them to obtain high levels of GST without proper training and guidance.  Which is exactly where the GB courses come in; elements must be mastered in the right order, with controlled volume and intensity and paired with the correct mobility.  As you already have access to the courses, just what is it that you are worried about?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

dsohei
Coach Sommer said:

You completely misunderstood the point of my comments.  

 

For the vast majority of people, it is indeed impossible for them to obtain high levels of GST without proper training and guidance.  Which is exactly where the GB courses come in; elements must be mastered in the right order, with controlled volume and intensity and paired with the correct mobility.  As you already have access to the courses, just what is it that you are worried about?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

first, it's amazing you take the time to answer in the forums

second, you gotta admit there was a helluva lot of talk about injuries on that interview

my interpretation (which is mine alone and i own it) is that even with the online courses, if a person is not being monitored as far as form and periodization goes, and also doing other fitness activities, that the risk of injury is HIGH.

i mean, this makes sense to me mainly because i, on my own, have no real way of knowing if i'm doing this "right". not just form, but also pre and post workout, deload weeks, etc...

add to that interpretation the fact that the awake school affiliate has classes that seem completely different than the online courses!

 

i  realize that there are certain concepts i just dont understand because i dont have the experience or the training facility/in-person community. i'd like to, but it just feels like i'm spinning.

ausswe

I found the comment coach gave about ideally people should complete the whole foundation course before starting on rings at all. Would there be much if any real difference if we start once f2 is completed or wait until we finished it all? In my head e first couple of rings exercises won't be super tough things like rto supports and German hangs.

Jon Douglas

No doubt the further you are through F course the less likely you are to hit stopping points based on mobility or basic strength. Not gonna be a whole lot of Galimore without a front lever and a straddle planche, for eg.

ausswe

I figured something like a galimore would be more r2-3 stuff which would mean you will be finished with f4 anyway. I guess we won't know until it comes out but I thought r1 would be easier stuff but if coach seems to think f4 should be ideally achieved first it makes me think maybe r1 is a lot tougher than I thought. Anyway I guess I'll find out in a month :P

Alan Tseng

if you think about it, when you're in the middle of f2, you're working on f2, h1, and maybe m1.  compared that to post-F2.  you're going to be working on F3, H1, H2, M1, and finally R1.  thats a huge volume increase (2-3 courses to 5 courses simultaneously) and a strength increase too (F2 to F3, and you'll be further along H1 when you're starting F3 compared to starting F2).

 

compare that to finishing F4, and by then you should be close to finishing H1 too before finally starting R1.   

Ravn

The interview made me realise that I don't need to rush out and get R1. I've got a major active pike mobility deficit that I need to deal with first, and it's probably also more effective in the long run to get well and truly started on H2, so that won't be a hindrance for ring progress later. I hope to be able to restrain myself from the Ring series until I'm near the end of the foundation series. Also, with the M-series coming out, I'm not sure I can manage more courses running in parallel.