Need help with my workout!

Started by Walt Peacock, March 28, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,973 Views

Walt Peacock

Hey everyone. I plan to start a new workout starting tomorrow. I wanted to see what you guys thought. Here is a breakdown of my info and the workout. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Age: 25

Weight: 150lbs

Height: 5'5"

*All reps range from 3-5.

Day1

-5 sets (weighted 18lb vest)

MU to forward roll to MU to L-sit to shoulder stand to Bulg. Dip to BL pull to front lever.

-5 sets weighted cross pulls

-3 sets Deep squats

-3 sets box jumps

Day2

-4 setsfront lever hold (6 sec) + weighted wide pull ups

-4 sets flag holds + RLL

-4 sets Back Lever Holds + Wide Bulgarian Dips

-4 sets tuck planche holds + Handstand Pushups

Day3

-4 sets 4-5 reps weighted MU + 30 second support hold onlast rep

-4 sets Bucket Circles + nosebreakers

-3 sets Military press +handstand holds

-5 sets Jumping cross pulls + Sprints

Day4

-3 sets front lever holds + weighted p-bar pullups

-3 sets flag holds + HLL

-3 sets Back lever holds + straight arm ring flys

-3 sets tuck planche holds + v-ups

My rest days are between day 2 and day 3 and between day 4 and day 1.

What do you think? Will this lead to overtraining? Dose this look like it will produce good results?

My goals are to cause hypertrophy so that I will put on good muscle size. I also want to be able to do consecutive press handstands, free standing handstand pushups, hold a planche for 10 sec. hold a front lever for 15 sec. hold a back lever for 45 seconds. hold a straddle l with legs parallel to the ground for 10 sec.

Thanks!

Mark Weaver

I have no comment, other than this workout would pwn me.

Richard Duelley

If one of your goals is a press handstand then try to do some variation of press handstands several times a week. For example, the press handstand is also one of my major goals and just last week I got my first straddle press handstand against the wall. Now I am doing 3 sets of 3 as part of my steady state but I also do specific press handstand work 2- 3 times a week on top of that. Over the past 2 weeks I really feel like my press handstand progress has REALLY took off, which is exciting. :mrgreen:

The key to press handstands is . . . more press handstands. If you are unable to get even one against the wall try the following (they helped me out):

-Move your hands a little further from the wall.

-Turn your fingers so they point more out to the side/adjust your hand orientation.

-Do wall negatives.

-Do headstand presses with your head elevated on a panel mat so your arms are straight or almost straight (I did this for a month or so).

-Do handstand wall walks (I think these REALLY helped me out, and I have been doing them 2 times a week since Coach posted about them)

Other than that your workout looks great, over training is different from person to person so just give it a try and see how you feel and adjust as required.

Good luck and have fun.

braindx

Sure your elbows can handle that?

The weighted vest + decent volume of muscle ups is very hard on the elbows.

Also, weighted cross pulls? With band or block or what?

Volumes a bit high overall I think, but that's up to you. On this schedule I think you'd have to take planned rest breaks in at least 4-6 weeks or so.

+ more handstands like previously said. They make you better at everything.

Walt Peacock

Thanks for all the great advice! I will definitely incorporate the press handstands. My elbows are fine. They do not bother me at all. I do the cross pulls on a block and I built a pulley system that effectively cuts my bodyweight in half. I alternate with the block and pulley system. The Pulley system is like what Yuri Van Gelder uses.