This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Arch hold - Why feet together?

Started by The Hansenator, January 18, 2014 · 28 Replies · 629 Views

The Hansenator

Why is it important to keep the feet together during arch holds? Is it an aesthetic thing or are there specific benefits to be had?

Alan Tseng

feet together has more glute max activation

The Hansenator

Glute activation would be a compelling reason but I seem to feel more glutes with feet apart. My low back bothers me if I try to keep feet together. I have some si joint issues that have improved but I'm still careful about. I would welcome any advice regarding that.

Since I'm unlikely to ever be in a gymnastics class or perform for anyone, there's no real reason my form has to "look" like anyting unless that makes it safer or function more effectively as a fitness activity.

ausswe

I have to say I can get much better flute activation without focusing on feet together.

Joshua Slocum

Make sure you're touching both the toes and the heels together. This can make a significant difference.

Duff
The Hansenator said:

Glute activation would be a compelling reason but I seem to feel more glutes with feet apart. My low back bothers me if I try to keep feet together. I have some si joint issues that have improved but I'm still careful about. I would welcome any advice regarding that.

Since I'm unlikely to ever be in a gymnastics class or perform for anyone, there's no real reason my form has to "look" like anyting unless that makes it safer or function more effectively as a fitness activity.

Have you tried stretching your hip flexors?

RatioFitness

There should be better glute activation with legs apart. Just look at the anatomy of the glutes. 

 

I believe the arch hold is more for the low back. Feet together create the longest lever and thus the most demand for the low back.

Alan Tseng

 

 

The Hansenator said:

Glute activation would be a compelling reason but I seem to feel more glutes with feet apart. My low back bothers me if I try to keep feet together. I have some si joint issues that have improved but I'm still careful about. I would welcome any advice regarding that.

Since I'm unlikely to ever be in a gymnastics class or perform for anyone, there's no real reason my form has to "look" like anyting unless that makes it safer or function more effectively as a fitness activity.

if you feel more lower back than glutes than that's something to fix.  could be any number of reasons that occurs

Keilani Gutierrez
Hmms said:

if you feel more lower back than glutes than that's something to fix.  could be any number of reasons that occurs

mean's there's more lumbar extension than hip extension going on. (which is why releasing the quad complex, psoas, so important) 

ausswe

I'm the same I have far more flute activation with legs apart than feet together. I can feel my glutes activate instantly when I raise my legs separated but as I bring them together in the raised position I feel my lower back activate more.

Keegan Y
Duff said:

Have you tried stretching your hip flexors?

This.

One of the reasons it's easier to feel the Glute activation and get better ROM with the legs apart is because with the legs apart the Iliopsoas are placed in a less stretched position and thus cannot restrict the motion as much.

When the legs are together tight Psoas will be in a much stronger position and thus the Glutes have to be stronger to overcome them; which translates to doing ABH/ABR with legs/feet together being superior for building Glute/hip extension strength.

thenail001

Stretch your IT, strengthen hip adductors.  Try holding a foam block between your feet while you do rocks without letting it drop.

 

Feet together creates length which adds velocity through swings.

howens

I'm a no body, and know very little, but I think feet together on this element has, along with what others have said, is to build the proper habits. Holding the legs together in the harder elements seems to be an important part of maintaining control of the movement, causing the lower body to move as a unit. With the complexity of the harder elements it would be hard to try and think "feet together" seems better if it's just a habit. Just my uneducated guess though.

El Chino

Like Howens said. Also from my experience it seems keeping feet activates more muscles especially the adductors. I know mine aren't too strong as when fatigue sets in on the latter sets I find my feet drifting apart slightly and I need to really concentrate on keeping them together.

3D Guy
Hmms said:

feet together has more glute max activation

False.

 

Glutes are hip extensors and external rotators.

 

Squeezing your glutes that hard will place your feet in a separated way.

3D Guy
Duff said:

Have you tried stretching your hip flexors?

Mobilize them.

 

Stretching alone won't help.

 

Foam rolling, in hip flexors, stretching them, and doing the same for the hamstrings will help.

 

Only stretching won't be enough

Alan Tseng
3D Guy said:

False.

 

Glutes are hip extensors and external rotators.

 

Squeezing your glutes that hard will place your feet in a separated way.

Let's get this straight. You acknowledge that gluteus Maximus's role is hip extension. However according to you, by placing your lower body in hip extension, you get LESS gluteus Maximus activation? I see.

The Hansenator
Duff said:

Have you tried stretching your hip flexors?

It's kind of hard to stretch my hip flexors without irritating my si joint. Lunge type stretches don't seem well tolerated. Are there any good stretches to look at with this in mind? 

 

I do work shoulder bridges fairly often and I was hoping the act of contracting the glutes and extending the hips in the arch hold might help as well. With my feet together I have almost zero range of motion but I was hoping that might improve over time.

 

Any good glute activation ideas might help as well. There seems to be lots of activity on the outside of the hip (glute medius?), it's more the inner part of the glute that doesn't seem to want to turn on.

RatioFitness
Hmms said:

Let's get this straight. You acknowledge that gluteus Maximus's role is hip extension. However according to you, by placing your lower body in hip extension, you get LESS gluteus Maximus activation? I see.

When your legs are apart your hips are still in extension. 

 

For crying out loud people, just look at the direction the fibers run and that will give you the answer as to why you feel the glutes more in a hip extension + abduction. 

Alan Tseng
RatioFitness said:

When your legs are apart your hips are still in extension. 

 

For crying out loud people, just look at the direction the fibers run and that will give you the answer as to why you feel the glutes more in a hip extension + abduction.

When your hips are apart they are in hip abduction. When they're together, they're in hip extension.

RatioFitness
Hmms said:

When your hips are apart they are in hip abduction. When they're together, they're in hip extension.

In the arch hold, when legs are together they are in hip extension and adduction.

 

When they are apart they are in extension and abduction. 

 

You have much to learn, young grasshopper. 

Alan Tseng
RatioFitness said:

Correct. 

 

And they can be in both at the same time. 

 

You have a lot to learn, young grasshopper.

I know my stuff just fine, thanks.

You on the other hand don't even understand the role of gluteus Maximus and judging by your comment earlier on arch holds don't even understand the purpose of arch holds

RatioFitness
Hmms said:

I know my stuff just fine, thanks.

You on the other hand don't even understand the role of gluteus Maximus and judging by your comment earlier on arch holds don't even understand the purpose of arch holds

I edited my comment above, do you disagree with it?

Alan Tseng

In theory I agree with it, but for the purposes of arch I disagree with it. The primary focus isn't on trying to create hip adduction. Arch is trying to create hip extension. You want to get more gluteus Maximus activation. The farther the feet are the less on glute max and the more focus on glute medius. The primary goal of arch isn't to work on gluteus medius activation. There's an entire section of that for the sPL iM progressions

Coach Sommer

Gentlemen,

 

Enough quibbling.

 

Do the ABH and the ABR with legs, heels and toes firmly together.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer