Formal Introduction and a welcoming for routine critique

Started by Hardy Evans, January 17, 2014 · 3 Replies · 1,681 Views

Hardy Evans

Hey all,

 

I've posted on here twice before with questions, and all of the replies have been very helpful. Since I'll probably be on here a lot more often in the future, I decided a brief introduction was in order.

 

I'm a 20 year old college student in Ohio, studying Mol. Biology and hoping to soon go to medical school and one day practice as an ER physician. I spend most of the little free time that I have working as a firefighter/EMT, and also working out. I got into GST from Crossfit about six months ago after training meticulously to get my first strict muscle up. I've since stopped doing Crossfit and I know focus almost entirely on gymnastics and bodyweight training. 

 

Enough about me; since I'm quite a novice at designing routines I was hoping somebody could give me some feedback on my current program.

 

Most important to understanding the why's of how I train are my goals, which are in rough order:

 

Upper body:

1. A one arm chin up.

2. A straddle planche on the floor/PB.

3. A freestanding HSPU

4. Front/Back lever.

5. A consistent strict, slow bar muscle up.

 

Lower Body:

1. A 225 lb widowmaker (20-rep squat).

 

 

What I've been doing is using a 4 day a week pseudo-push/pull split, which looks something like this:

 

Pull 1,2:

Weighted Chins- 5 sets of 6, 8, 8, 10, 10 reps

1 Leg Front Pulls- 3x6-8

Overhead Press- 3x6-8

1-leg BL holds- 3x9-12s

 

Push 1,2:

Feet elevated Planche leans- 4x9-12s

Strict Ring MU- 4 sets of 5-7 reps 

Bulgarian Dips- 4 x 8-10 reps

RTO Pushups- 4 x 8-10 reps

 

For my skill work I'm currently doing HS one 4 days a week.

 

As for muscle ups being on push days and overhead press on pull days, I simply found through practice that doing weighted chins and muscle ups on the same day seemed to impact the quality of whichever was done second, so I moved MU to push day and OHP to pull day.

 

I usually do 3 weeks of high rep (6-10) work for hypertrophy, and then 3 weeks of low rep (2-5) work for strength, followed by a deload week on week 7. 

 

I also work L-sits and compression exercises on my off days, and usually start off my push days with high weight 20-rep squats to work on legs.

 

Any thoughts? Does this look effective given my goals?

 

Bipocni

Oh wow, haven't had one of these in a while.

 

Either look into buying Foundation or follow Killroy70.

 

Sorry to be so abrupt, but that's the general advice you're going to get around here with a "rate my routine" kind of question.

Bipocni

Oh but I should mention, your program looks fine.

 

.....maybe add some rows. :ph34r: