Age problem please help

Started by Jode5337, January 14, 2014 · 18 Replies · 3,198 Views

Jode5337

I love gymnastics so much it's like my life. But I have a problem I started gymnastics when I was 12... My bones are stiff but is there any hope of me getting higher than were I am I want to get into squad but I can't even do a kick over I want more training but I just don't know how? help.

Keilani Gutierrez

omg, thank God you're alive! xD! 

 

do as every student does, start with the basics.

 

do you know what the basics are? (serious no sarcasm question)

Joshua Slocum

If you're serious about gymnastics, I'd recommend beginning the Foundation and Handstand series for your conditioning. 

 

 

For skill work, as Keilani said, you need to focus on the basics. 

 

 

12 is still quite young for starting gymnastics - don't worry! I started when I was 17. 

Keilani Gutierrez

I started at 24 :P

Joshua Naterman

27 here, I think. Don't let age be a barrier, and don't try to play catch-up so hard that you get yourself hurt. Follow the guidance of your coaches and those here with substantial gymnastic experience and you will be ok. Above all, if Coach Sommer ever gives advice about your gymnastic training, you better follow it. Even if it's not what you want to hear. 

 

Welcome to the world of gymnastics! How old are you right now?

wheezer

The Slizzard is alive!!!

Jode5337

Thank you

Bipocni
wheezer said:

The Slizzard is alive!!!

Yeah wow.  I figured he'd moved on with life and wouldn't be back until he finished medical school, if at all...

 

Good to see you're still alive Slizz!

Ravn
wheezer said:

The Slizzard is alive!!!

Good stuff! Now, if someone would check out where Fredinchina has gone, we're almost back to normal.

Bipocni
Ravn said:

Good stuff! Now, if someone would check out where Fredinchina has gone, we're almost back to normal.

You mean he's not in China anymore!? 

Keilani Gutierrez

Fred might be in Mercury! :D  :D  :D  :D

 

.... :blink:

 

..yeah, that guy just can't be replaced. he's something special

Joshua Slocum
KeilaniG said:

Fred might be in Mercury! :D  :D  :D  :D

 

.... :blink:

 

..yeah, that guy just can't be replaced. he's something special

... and now I'm listening to Queen.

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Slocum said:

... and now I'm listening to Queen.

there is -never- a bad time to listen to Queen. 

 

edit: that should be the topic of a Thesis.

HamdiC

I started at 38 (I'm 42 now).

Ravn
Jode5337 said:

My bones are stiff [...]

 

 

That's a good start, imagine if they were flexible.

 

*Chuckle*  :P

Joshua Naterman
Bipocni said:

Yeah wow.  I figured he'd moved on with life and wouldn't be back until he finished medical school, if at all...

 

Good to see you're still alive Slizz!

Hahaha thanks! Life has been pretty insanely busy with school, graduation, and more school, to name a few things.

 

I have two medical school interviews scheduled right now, so it will be interesting to see where I end up. I am quite excited about Medical College of Georgia, I have heard a number of Emory physicians say that the best doctors they have worked with came out of that school. Besides that, in-state tuition + financial breaks for being low income would be excellent news :) Still waiting to hear from a few other schools. Mercer is smaller and less well-known, but produces excellent doctors as well. Both are extremely primary care and patient centered, which are my priorities. Waiting to hear from Emory, but that will take a few more weeks I think. Also looking for UNC and Alabama.

 

They are also close to home, which doesn't hurt. I chose not to apply anywhere that would really limit my ability to see my family during the semesters. Work/life/school balance > higher ranked schools that cost 20-30k more per year after room and board are considered.

Keilani Gutierrez

God speed, Josh #salute

Bipocni

Just to clarify:

 

You still have time for training, right?

Dzosh
Besides that, in-state tuition + financial breaks for being low income would be excellent news :)

Completely off-topic, and unsolicited advice: The less debt you come out of medical school with the better. PM me if want to discuss further.

 

On topic: I'm starting at 43. Though competitive gymnastics is not my goal. I'm just going for less zombie.