This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

staple movements to improve and maintain

Started by Spphysio, January 6, 2014 · 18 Replies · 529 Views

Spphysio

My question is what is the list of the staple movements that we should use indefenetely even if we achieve mastery (either by using a single set as a warm up or by increasing the weight ex. Jefferson curls)

 

 

From my personal experience are:

 

Scapula pushups (Warm up type)

Planche Leans (A single set as a Warm up)

Jefferson curls (As Coach has said gradually increase weight)

All the Front lever progressions (untill we achieve FL/PE6: Hollow Body Rocks - use a single set as a warm up)

 

Hope you understand what I mean.

 

 

I would love to hear others opinion as well as the Coach's opinion since he is the most suitable to reply according to his experience.

Bro'

I would definitely include Arch body holds/rocks to that, then it depends on where you are and what you need the most.

dritar

I'd include the leg strength iMs.

Riku Calderón

This is actually a good question!! I like hear this too.

MvdB

Interesting topic and some good choices that take care of notorious weak links I think. By the way, after mastering scapula pushups you can make them harder by using a resistance band (wrap it around your upper back and lean on it with your hands).

PrimalMove

I've been using a combination of iM's and mastered exercises. I've found, like you said, certain ones that are always good to warm up with. My favorite being the scapular shrugs, cat/cow, and swivel hips.

Spphysio

Nice additions guys...leg strength iMs are super important. I totally forgot them espesially twisting squats and inside squats...It would be nice to hear Coach's position on this one. When he sees this topic...

Micawberian

Straddle v-up's! I also really enjoy warming up with foundation positions modified into straddle since it is such a weak link. Straddle HLL's, straddle hollow body, straddle reserve hypers. Its two birds with one stone :)

Also, windmills are another movement I still frequently do, increasing the weight every so often. Just feels great for the shoulder

emilianop

Something I started doing lately is a combination of FL/PE5+SL/PE1 in the same movement.

 

What I do is starting in Hollow Body Hold, rolling on one side to get into Arch Body Hold, then again for HBH and so on.
After each roll I keep the stance for 3 seconds.
I typically do the whole carpet like that (say, continuously going left) then back (rolling to the right).

 

I completely made it up and not sure if it's a good idea or not, but after a set of this (it's usually around 15+15 rolls) I feel that core-wise I'm pretty much ready to start training.

 

I agree on the Scapula Pushups as well.

Bipocni

Don't forget side-to-side squats.

Ravn

I suppose this list needs to be moderated by the individual, according to personal weaknesses that needs to be kept at bay. While I like the idea of a list / compilation, we are going to end up with basically all of F1 as people keep adding their 2 cents.

 

Apart from that I agree with

- ABH/ABR, 

- HBH/HBR,

- Straddle up/V-ups,

- Pushups/PPP,

- Stiff legged windmills, Jefferson curls,

- Swivel hips, Twisting squats, 

- Scap pushups/ PL leans...

 

...and would like to add the bent arm chin hang (RC/PE6) and Hawaian squats.

Murray Truelove

Good stuff!

Agile
maolu said:

Something I started doing lately is a combination of FL/PE5+SL/PE1 in the same movement.

 

What I do is starting in Hollow Body Hold, rolling on one side to get into Arch Body Hold, then again for HBH and so on.

After each roll I keep the stance for 3 seconds.

I typically do the whole carpet like that (say, continuously going left) then back (rolling to the right).

 

I completely made it up and not sure if it's a good idea or not, but after a set of this (it's usually around 15+15 rolls) I feel that core-wise I'm pretty much ready to start training.

 

 

 

Yes I think this is a common exercise amongst some gymnasts, and sounds great.  Shows good intuition for having made it up I think. 

 

I do  cat/cow, swivel hips, scapula push ups and  squats every warm up since they help with injuries I have. 

 

 The rest of the time I warm up with exercises relevant to that day (a set of v-ups before doing hanging leg lifts or a plank before attempting plank leans etc)

 

I think choosing which exercises to keep is very individual but interesting to read other people's choices. 

Joshua Slocum
maolu said:

Something I started doing lately is a combination of FL/PE5+SL/PE1 in the same movement.

 

What I do is starting in Hollow Body Hold, rolling on one side to get into Arch Body Hold, then again for HBH and so on.

After each roll I keep the stance for 3 seconds.

I typically do the whole carpet like that (say, continuously going left) then back (rolling to the right).

 

I completely made it up and not sure if it's a good idea or not, but after a set of this (it's usually around 15+15 rolls) I feel that core-wise I'm pretty much ready to start training.

 

It's quite a good idea. You can add side-arch holds as well, and/or do rocks instead of holds. 

Joshua Slocum
maolu said:

you should say "for anyone interested that has access to that forum"! :angry:

Quoted here:

Joshua Slocum said:

... around-the-world rocks: arch-body-rock, quarter roll to side arch rock, quarter roll to hollow body rock, quarter roll to other side arch rock, quarter roll, repeat. You must maintain proper form the whole time *especially* while transitioning between positions.

An additional note on the form here: at no point during the rolling should you be letting your shoulders touch the ground. [They will of course touch the ground on the rocks]. You could also do this with static holds instead of rocks.

emilianop

Very nice, thanks Joshua

emilianop
Joshua Slocum said:

... around-the-world rocks: arch-body-rock, quarter roll to side arch rock, quarter roll to hollow body rock, quarter roll to other side arch rock, quarter roll, repeat. You must maintain proper form the whole time *especially* while transitioning between positions.

 

An additional note on the form here: at no point during the rolling should you be letting your shoulders touch the ground. [They will of course touch the ground on the rocks]. You could also do this with static holds instead of rocks.

I gave this a go today and it's not easy at all! :eek:

Adding the side arch rolls while always keeping shoulder off the ground (I'm doing holds, not rolls at the moment) is pretty though!!

 

This is gonna be my everyday pre-workout stuff for quite a long time. :idea: