F and H series: mastering 'floor' elements on parallettes or push-up bars?

Started by MvdB, January 4, 2014 · 7 Replies · 3,814 Views

MvdB

This is mostly directed at the GB staff -

One of the metacarpal bones in my right hand has the tendency to tilt and cause pain when I lean on my hands, handstand- or push-up style. This is not something that can be treated (unless I have it surgically fused to the other metacarpals, I believe). It's one of the things that caused me to quit playing capoeira.

My question is: would it still be considered 'mastery' if I work my way through the H and F series and perform some of the aggravating (for me) elements on parallettes or push-up bars instead of on the floor? Gripping the bars does not cause the problems I experience on the floor.

Thank you!

Coach Sommer

That would be fine.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

MvdB

Thank you, Coach! Like most of the adult fitness enthusiasts here I'm looking for strength and mobility gains and not for true gymnast performance, but I would like to get certified so I was a little concerned.

 

Do you foresee any problems down the road of the GB curriculum in terms of elements/exercises that can only be done on the floor?

Coach Sommer

Possibly.  However we will simply deal with it on a case by case basis as your training becomes more advanced.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jure Rakuljic

I must borrow this thread and ask one thing that confuses me. Now im so very far away from this end exercies but that is not the point..too my question. On the foundation 4 front page you will see the mastery of all the elements, but some are preformed on paraletts/bars. Is the mastery of all those elements to be preformed on paraletts/bars for a certain amount of time? If so  would it not be more compeling too end the series with one being able to do these exercies on the floor for a certain amount of reps. For example  too do a planche hold on the floor with straight legs for a certain amount of reps would be so mutch harder and feel more complete then the mastery being straddle planche hold on paraletts.

Coach Sommer

Your supposition is incorrect.  

 

There is really no difference in difficulty between holding a planche on the floor or on the paralletes.  It is merely a matter of personal preference.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bipocni
Coach Sommer said:

Your supposition is incorrect.  

 

There is really no difference in difficulty between holding a planche on the floor or on the paralletes.  It is merely a matter of personal preference.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Well, there's a slight difference in regards to wrist flexibility, depending on the orientation of the hands...

Coach Sommer

The difference is inconsequential in terms of overall planche strength.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer