Sleep talk

Started by gymrob, February 26, 2008 · 2 Replies · 4,288 Views

gymrob

Quite simply, at the moment I am doing strength work and working on holds/ skills during the week. What is the recommended sleep for someone doing high intensity strength training in order to have a good fast recovery assuming diet is pretty much in order. Something like 8 hours?

Also, I normally get 7-8 hours sleep on week nights and when I get home from school I take a 1 hour nap because it is so refreshing. Is this such a great idea. On weekends I normally get anything from 9-12 hours sleep hehe.

thanks

kbryk

Yea, I'm pretty much on the same routine as you are, sometimes I feel drained out on some days more than others, but try always to get that 8 hours of sleep, many people still don't believe getting enough sleep along with another important thing hydration will help you heal up.

Coach Sommer

Adequate Sleep

Performance and nutritional expert Robb Wolf is adamant that eight hours a night is minimum. The sleep should be habitual, uninterrupted and in a completely darkened room. Robb notes that many of us always seek the optimum conditioning program, and then fail to properly supplement that program with optimum sleep and nutritional support; resulting in a failure to achieve peak performance.

For more on Robb's views on proper nutritional support, please see the following:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62

For more on Robb's views on proper sleep, please see the following:

http://robbwolf.com/?p=55

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer