Hi Everyone,
42 year old guy here who used to work out with weights for many, many years, some of them on and off.
I'm 6'0" and thinner framed. Putting on muscle has always been difficult, although losing fat has been relatively easy. As I get older, I appreciate the latter even more.
Anyway, I started doing core exercises a couple of months ago due to a physical therapists suggestion. I get back spasms every year or two, usually not too bad, but sometimes so bad the pain level is a 10 and I can barely move, as was the case last time I got one a few months ago. I went for some acupuncture, which worked the other time it was real bad, and the place happened to be a physical therapy place too. That was my first time going to such a place.
Anyway, been playing ice hockey for 20+ years so always been in decent shape, but I learned I had a weak core. I started doing the basic plank that the therapist showed me, along with a few variations. I started reading more and bodyweight exercising came up more and more. I must say, I truly believe my goal of achieving a particular body is going to happen quicker with bodyweight exercising. The more I read, plus what I've seen in this short couple of months, the more I believe this.
I always said to myself, male gymnasts have incredible bodies and I knew they achieved most/all of that strictly from gymnastics. I found most guys in a gym don't have bodies like that. If they do, there is a good chance that they do juice, are genetically-gifted, or been doing it for 20 or 30 years.
Anyway, I really wished I took up gymnastics a long time ago. I'd love to find a place (here in NYC area) where I could have access to all gymnastics equipment for a fee. In the meantime, I'm using my studio as best I could and the results are good.
Well, glad to be here and read all that is going on with others. If anyway else has found that bodyweight workouts are better than weights, I'd like to hear your story.
Right now I'm just doing the basics, like planks, pull-ups, chin-ups, etc.
- Anthony