This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE15/16>im

Started by Jon Douglas, December 23, 2013 · 25 Replies · 1,252 Views

Jon Douglas

Damn! These feel like they are laser-guided onto brachialis!

I can reach full ROM with the static, but the reps are going to take a few weeks on the left side. Haven't hit a tight spot like that in a long time. Just goes to show that weak links remain weak until you pinpoint and address them.

 

Quick question-- these feel as if they are putting some serious stretch on biceps/elbow regions I am a bit ginger about with rings work. I decided to leave the rings alone today with this in mind, not wanting to stretch them hard then put pressure on the same spots with straight arm work; as a general rule should I suspend the rings strength work (in the same session) until I adjust fully to this stretch, or is this unnecessarily cautious?

 

Cheers :)

Coach Sommer

Difficult to say. However as always, when in doubt - go a little easier. You can always go harder tomorrow, but you can't undo today's too hard.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Hamilton

Was also gonna thinking of asking this but you beat me to it Jon. I really feel these in my elbows as well but I can't get my shoulder down to the floor yet. Nice stretch :)

Jon Douglas
Richard Hamilton said:

Was also gonna thinking of asking this but you beat me to it Jon. I really feel these in my elbows as well but I can't get my shoulder down to the floor yet. Nice stretch :)

I only get that deep stretch if I'm conscientious about getting my shoulder to the floor. It feels superb; just not something I want to take the slightest risk with! :D

Richard Hamilton
Jon Douglas said:

I only get that deep stretch if I'm conscientious about getting my shoulder to the floor. It feels superb; just not something I want to take the slightest risk with! :D

Just getting my shoulder to the floor is going to be an achievement in itself! Definitely one to not force... this is gonna take some time! :)

piotro

I feel (similar?) very quickly with this excersise - on the forearm, just below elbow, internal (body) side, wondering if this is where you get it as well.

Coincidentaly this is exactly the place that I've got some problems with in last months (tight, bit painfull, limiting some of grip/rings work), I'm pretty sure that this problem is related to gripping excersises in my case. So far I haven't found a way to release if fully (foam roller, ball, novel movements, rest tried, all work to some extent, but this comes back quickly).

Richard Hamilton

This is exactly where I get it piotro and as my mobility has improved I've had to keep rebuilding Hinge Rows as this spot can sometimes get uncomfortable. I'm confident that Foundation is going to sort it out if I'm conscientious in my approach.

Jon Douglas

Same here, hence why I asked the question about whether it might be too much if i hit ring strength afterwards. I have a feeling this element is going to be a bit of a breakthrough for me.

Keilani Gutierrez

likewise...because it hits my pec minor before i feel it in the brachialis. guess i found another mobility tool to add to post F+H ^_^

Mats Trane

Just had a feel of all the Im´s for HPB and I must say: Truly amazing! Hope they will fix my irritating shoulder problem I´ve had for too long now.

Jon Douglas

I'm a little nonplussed about this, but this stretch alone appears to be consolidating my tuck planche. My activation on my weaker side is substantially better. Rather than having to think about my lats on that side, the protraction activated them along for the ride. I've had to do that 'manually,' an extra movement distinct from the protraction action, until now.

Have suspended dedicated rings work until I no longer feel it in my brachialis, which is a bitter pill simply because I'm a nut case, but about 50% of the emphasis has shifted onto a shoulder stretch now and it feels excellent. I believe I am eliminating the last of my asymmetrical shoulder flexibility (from an older strain). 2nd week of cycle; 4 weeks off rings won't be *too* bad.

Thanks Coach, exactly what the doctor ordered.

 

NB;

The motion of pressing/holding shoulder to the floor while maintaining near-full ROM on the rotation portion is where the magic is for me

Alessandro Mainente

i used those exercises in the last 7-8 months to balance my external/internal rotation. they are a powerful tool to see where you are not balanced (the problem in the major people is not the upper or medial chest, but the minor). people usually think that stretching with the straight arms is the best choice. unfortunately the major internal rotator for the chest muscles is the minor chest. when this muscle is very tight you can experiment exactly that is impossible twist without lift the shoulder. i spent about 15 minutes 2 days a week with PNF stretch over the bent arm prone static. and this is the most productive exercise to stretch the internal rotation and create a solid basis for F4 IM. if you have extra time, consider to use all the previous IM poses into an unique PNF routine with 1-2 contraction passing from one pose to another without rest.

Jon Douglas
alex87 said:

i used those exercises in the last 7-8 months to balance my external/internal rotation. they are a powerful tool to see where you are not balanced (the problem in the major people is not the upper or medial chest, but the minor). people usually think that stretching with the straight arms is the best choice. unfortunately the major internal rotator for the chest muscles is the minor chest. when this muscle is very tight you can experiment exactly that is impossible twist without lift the shoulder. i spent about 15 minutes 2 days a week with PNF stretch over the bent arm prone static. and this is the most productive exercise to stretch the internal rotation and create a solid basis for F4 IM. if you have extra time, consider to use all the previous IM poses into an unique PNF routine with 1-2 contraction passing from one pose to another without rest.

Yes exactly-- the straight arm ones were great but it was pretty easy for me-- I was at full ROM almost immediately and while I use them for a warmup, they don't compare to my need for these.

I like the idea of the PNF routine. I should get on this; finding the IM's I need and personalising my warmup a bit more. Thanks for that :)

Alessandro Mainente

I use as a test, the ability to twist my body on the other side and touch with the twisting leg on the floor and , if possible, with the twisting glute.

Jon Douglas

So I applied the contract-relax approach from Kit Laughlin to this stretch, along with spending a couple minutes per day per side in a comfortable stretch with it.

Today I experienced the characteristic profound relaxation and Rom increase from the C&R method. Almost equal on my left and right side now. Very pleased, I feel this is a big step for me. We'll see how what sort of Rom i have in training tomorrow

Jon Douglas

Update;

I was starting to wonder whether it was possible to get both glutes on the ground with the bent-arm stretch (with the straight-arm variant it's easy for me). Today I achieved it on my right side, but my left is still lagging somewhat.

 

This particular element seems to be a bit of a crucible for me. The harder I work it the stronger I nudge up in all pushing elements, but I am wary of overdoing a couple of tight spots. I believe I am working directly on a significant limiting factor of mine.

 

Very pleased to be making definite progress and to have a solid, reasonably high mobility target to equalise my shoulder flexibility with.

Christian
Jon Douglas said:

Update;

I was starting to wonder whether it was possible to get both glutes on the ground with the bent-arm stretch (with the straight-arm variant it's easy for me). Today I achieved it on my right side, but my left is still lagging somewhat.

.

What you are describing here is physically impossible. You clearly broke your shoulder joint in two and are now insane with the pain and hallucinating. Please call a doctor immediately...

:-P

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

What you are describing here is physically impossible. You clearly broke your shoulder joint in two and are now insane with the pain and hallucinating. Please call a doctor immediately...

:-P

Lol. I'm out of town for springsteen concert. Will put up pic when I get back Mon if you don't believe me :P

Christian

Wouldn't mind actually. Gives me something to aim for. But now im more jealous of the springsteen concert! :-(

Jon Douglas
Christian said:

Wouldn't mind actually. Gives me something to aim for. But now im more jealous of the springsteen concert! :-(

Yeah, Im excited. Supposed to be an excellent show, and I grew up on with that music in the house :)

I'll post pics on Mon, but as I say I dont have the bent arm one quite perfect yet. It feels amazing though, will continue chasing this one for sure

Joakim Anderson
Jon Douglas said:

Yeah, Im excited. Supposed to be an excellent show, and I grew up on with that music in the house :)

 

Same here, and I've seen him live five times now. Only gets better. :) Sure you're gonna love it.

Jon Douglas

Progress 10/2;

 

Straight Right

post-2239-0-78895700-1392031759_thumb.pn

 

 

Straight left

post-2239-0-04110700-1392031786_thumb.pn

 

Easy, both glutes comfortably on ground and physically prevented by the floor from going any further.

 

 

 

 

Bent right

post-2239-0-77914600-1392031734_thumb.pn

Twisting glute brushing ground at last.

 

 

 

Bent left

 

post-2239-0-37092100-1392031711_thumb.pn

*Substantially* less ROM, look at that flexibility imbalance D: it's improving slowly but consistently.

 

The easiest place to see it is in the angle of my foot, in these pictures. Note that the more flexible positions I am lying pretty much on my back, heel comfortably on the ground, despite the awkward camera angle.

Christian

Got my new computer, yeah! Only had the phone for a while so more difficult to post. Nice ROM here, I can do the straight versions like you, but my bent is nowhere near that. Even the bad one. I have these as stretches in my warm up and do the three positions for the straight one. Like it alot.

 

Next goal for you is to touch back of shoulder to elbow. I dare you :P

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my shoulder to the floor with this one. mobility is pretty good with straight arm but can't get too much done with the bent arm static. sometimes, i even get a nerve pinching sensation around my posterior delt/armpit area. 

 

edit: I feel my glutes are a few inches away from the ground on the straight arm version. still working that version until i get my glutes to touch the ground and see if it that has anything to do with it

Keilani Gutierrez

hey guys, 

 

i've made touch down with the shoulder some months ago, now when i do C-R to get more ROM, my hand starts getting tingly. this is usually the time a C-R cycle won't yield more ROM and it's been like this since i reached this road block. 

anybody else feeling this? any tips?