Are you willing to suffer?

Started by Mats Trane, December 15, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,535 Views

Xcel

Good stuff.  I've been trying to explain this work ethic to my daughter.  Not easy, but I will suffer in trying to get it through to her.

Bipocni
Xcel said:

Good stuff.  I've been trying to explain this work ethic to my daughter.  Not easy, but I will suffer in trying to get it through to her.

I see what you did there...  :ph34r:

Bipocni

"The true vision of a champion is someone bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching."

 

Good read.

Xcel
Bipocni said:

I see what you did there...  :ph34r:

Hehe

wheezer

Love the general message, but I think "suffer" may not be the best word.

 

It reminds me of Eckhart Tolle pointing out the big difference between pain and suffering. Pain is being in discomfort. Suffering is when you judge the pain/discomfort as bad and unacceptable.

 

Going by that definition, I think it's more accurate to say that successful people are willing to "suffer" simply because they don't label the pain as "suffering". Instead, they accept the pain of hard training completely. They accept that it is necessary for what they want to do. They accept it will pass, but the satisfaction of who they will become - resulting from that training - will remain. They are certainly not "suffering".

 

If they're really good, they probably enjoy the pain.

 

 

Two examples:

 

Wayne Gretzky: "The only way a kid is going to practice is if it's total fun for him... and it was for me."

 

Arnold Schwarzenegger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZqfUzax3kE

NoHiddenCosts

@Wheezer, I think that's a great re-phrasing, and I appreciate the Tolle reference.

 

@Mats Trane, Thanks for the awesome video. "Willingness to suffer", "Grit", "Resilience", and the like have all been highlighted as the common element between successful people of any endeavor be it sports, music, science, school, business, you name it.

 

Time to go practice HS/PE2>iM some more.