Any tips for improving quality/quantity of sleep for working nightshift

Started by Patrick Smith, December 7, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,130 Views

Patrick Smith

Hey everyone,

 

Recently been off on a hiatus from the forums because #School #4.0, but now I'm back and excited to re-aquatint myself with the community.

 

I was just hired by UPS (United Parcel Service) as a seasonal employee for the holidays. My shift starts about midnight to 1 am and ends about 8-9 am every week day. It's my first night shift job, and I like the hours actually, but since I'm still finishing up the semester my sleep schedule has been pretty crappy. Over Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday I got about 10 hours of sleep, but that's only because I had class and study during the day. Once final exams are over, I intend to get 8 hours a day before work.

 

So I've learned a technique called smooth breathing that I do for about 5-10 minutes before I try to sleep and it helps me sleep soundly and quickly whenever I need to. Do you have any tips that would help me improve my sleep?

Jennifer

What about blue blocking glasses during the last few hours of your shift?  

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

the last bit on relaxed breathing is what i was going to say because i know you arent a stranger to other variables(no exercise before bed, darked out room, etc) just find your happy place and slip off into subconsciousness~

like Jen mentioned to, if you havent already installed it in your comp or celphone look into an app called "F.lux" it changes your screens light settings to match the path of the sun(so its blue during the day and orange when the sun goes down)

TANSTAAFL

Yeah, the glasses and flux are right on the mark. They are like $7 on amazon, no need to get the crazy specialized ones or anything. I use um all the time and they definitely work. Also just make sure your sleep cave is pitch black...no clock light, etc. We rock cardboard in the windows and you can easily put tape/paper over any other small lights.

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OBZ64M/

Patrick Smith
TANSTAAFL said:

Yeah, the glasses and flux are right on the mark. They are like $7 on amazon, no need to get the crazy specialized ones or anything. I use um all the time and they definitely work. Also just make sure your sleep cave is pitch black...no clock light, etc. We rock cardboard in the windows and you can easily put tape/paper over any other small lights.

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OBZ64M/

Thanks, I was looking at some funky ones on ebay. These look way better and they're cheaper too. :D

 

I'll get on that ASAP. The blinds in my room let a LOT of light in and I always have my clock light on, but I'll get on it ASAP. 

 

Nautique163 said:

This might be a good read for ya.

http://robbwolf.com/2013/03/06/big-ol-pile-shift-work-dealing-off-hour-work/

I worked third shift 11 to 7 for years you never get use to it !

Great read. Thanks for the link.

 

Luckily for me, my nutrition is still pretty good and the work is basically super fast paced loading so I get plenty of exercise. No need to eat/drink unhealthy stuff to stay awake. Sucks because I can't really train because the work is so tiring (and if I train it negatively affects my work performance), but I only have this job till Dec. 23rd. 

 

It feels nice to be done with my work by the time most other people are just waking up and actually I feel fine on low sleep for some reason, but I know I have to sleep and it's a bother to sleep during the day. :P