Need for advice: should I begin?

Started by Devotus, December 6, 2013 · 4 Replies · 3,458 Views

Devotus

Hello people!! Nice to meet you all!!

 

I am Peter, from Florence, Italy, I am 39 and have an intermediate athletic skill (I have done many sports). Gymnastic strength training begins to interest me! I began to read this forum one month ago, approximately and I find many interesting things, due to Coach Sommer and experts advices. But there's one question I have to ask, hoping that your experience can help me solving it. I apologize if I am asking something that was yet covered in another topic, but I found nothing

 

I found so many tutorials about calisthenics over the web, I mean Youtube and/or other source that can teach everyone on how to do one-arm pu, handstand pu, pistols, etc... But I am convinced that a good athlete should always consider to accomplish little goals until the reach of the big ones and I think I can consider to invest my time in the GST courses. That movements are only example, I am aiming to something that is more focused on building a better muscular skill ...

 

Ok, there's my question. I don't know what Foundation One and other courses show in the pages, but since I am thinking to buy at least the first one, I would like to know if the exercises of the course anyway require to have a gymnastic coach close to me, to strictly follow the movement. In other words: should I follow the program in a gym, to avoid bad movements habits?

 

My intention is to avoid the gym as much as possible, better if totally. Its a question of available time and life restrictions. The nearest gym here is at a considerable distance from me, so it can seriously take too much time going there during the week.

 

Sorry for my bad english, I hope all is clear. I thank you very much in advance for any feedback you will send me!!

 

Peter

Ravn

As long as you're willing to improvise a bit to get the required equipment (which is not a lot), you absolutely do not need to get anywhere near a gym. If you have doubts about an exercise, post a video here on the forum and you will get feedback from the community. It is also possible to buy personal training if you really need the oversight of a coach, but I doubt that you need it.

 

Welcome, and have fun training!

Bipocni

Just try and mimic the athlete in the demonstration videos as closely as possible.  It helps to video yourself, as you can often make mistakes without knowing it.  Spend a lot of time in the F1 forum, you'll pick up all sorts of helpful little hints for things you didn't even realise.

Devotus

Hello again and thank you for the feedback!!

 

What kind of material will I find buying Foundation courses? Are them only in ebook or paper format or do they have a DVD included? Bipocni, your reply makes me think that I'll have video clips from which I should learn with the docs.

 

p.

 

 

Ravn

The format is in HTML, viewable in your browser. For every exercise there's a video demonstrating the movement. You must be online to view the material. An online workout planner is also included, which will, once you've set it up, tell you your assignments for the coming week.

 

When you first get access, the course requires a fair bit of reading in order to fully understand the structure, but that initial read will save you many questions down the line.