Grip strength / false grip

Started by London Gymnast, December 1, 2013 · 30 Replies · 31,299 Views

Edgaron

May be true when it comes to deadlifts or squats when spine is overloaded, but definitely not in pullups when the opposite is true.

Adam R. Durst
piotro said:

I think people should have a look (especially after having a quick look at video you've posted) at Michael's post about grip/false grip here (not to mention that whole thread is worth reading):

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/6494-correct-xr-support-and-hs-guidelines/?p=85736

Thanks for that...awesome!

Would your suggestion be to just start the training from the fleshy part? Or start from wrist crook and then work it out an inch onto fleshy palm?

I've found just hanging on bent wrist to be very challenging, but also providing good strength and flexibility results. But I'm a super noob for false grip work.

piotro

That's the question of right progression, doing what you are physically ready for at the moment vs not learning (unlearning later) bad habits, I'm pretty sure incoming R-course will include false grip training/progression :).

Also remember that you don't have to start straight away with false grip dead hang if this is bit too difficult right now, you could hang with legs supported, by changing incline of your body you have a bit of space to adjust how difficult it will be.

Rayne-William
Adam R. Durst said:

Thanks for that...awesome!

Would your suggestion be to just start the training from the fleshy part? Or start from wrist crook and then work it out an inch onto fleshy palm?

I've found just hanging on bent wrist to be very challenging, but also providing good strength and flexibility results. But I'm a super noob for false grip work.

Start with the fleshy part in front of the little knob of bone, just before the crook of your wrist.  In the long run using the crook of your wrist will make the rings rub up against your forearm.

 

Arthlete.com False Grip- Muscle Up transition Granted this guy is doing a muscle up on a bar rather than rings. Placing the false grip as described here will be the most comfortable and it won't pinch a nerve.