Hi all
I'm having problems with my grip.
I am trying to attain a strict muscle up and other movements on the rings but I'm lacking in a few areas. I'd first like to address my grip strength (specifically on rings).
I am currently doing HS1 with the plan to begin F1 in January. I don't plan to do ring work from January, however, would like to build strength in regard to my grip strength as this feels very weak.
Current position:
General ring work, i.e. ring chin ups and inverted pike pulls - My hands slip and I end up hanging onto the rings with my fingers. This ultimately doesn't work and my grip fails fast. If I try to keep the rings lower on my hand, i.e. around knuckle level, it seems very painful (as it feels as though the ring is pinching my hands) and the rings then slip to finger level.
False Grip - I am not able to hand from the rings in a false grip. Wrists should be bent at 90 degrees but then as soon as I hold my bodyweight this fails and the angle reduces and therefore I slip off.
Solutions:
Hand grips - This may stop the pinching from the rings and may allow me to do more movements. It seems more than my grip when doing ring pullups shifts to my fingers rather than my hand which is due to poor form (due to the pinching).
Specific forearm / grip strengthening work - Doing some strengthening work which is carried in baseball with rice buckets - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzcbgpes3is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0At9BvISa8
I was also thinking about some sledgehammer training which I've heard is good conditioning for grip, forearms and core. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFAzQQkUlFo
Please could you guys provide your input for the best way to build up to a strong false grip and grip for the rings?